starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overhead press starting with stretch reflex?

Default Overhead press starting with stretch reflex?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    John Phung's Blog

Thoughts?

Seems like alot back arch at the start....I mean, he does 'come out of it' right away and gets underneath, straightens out

But doesn't seem 'wise' . . . IMO

As far as his trick to initiate that stretch/reflex thing . . . not a fan of all the wiggling around right when you get into this arched position with a max load.
    Would never recommend for anyone.
    Lets figure out some way to bounce around and get a stretch reflex on the start of 1RM deadlift too...seems smart.
    Last edited by MBasic; 05-28-2015 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    One weird trick to increase your 1RM in a lift that no one has cared about in over 40 years? And one that isn't legal in any of the competitions for that lift currently running? Sounds super pointless to me.

But good for him for trying it out. I'm not convinced it is significantly better than the hip snap from press 2.0

Btw, I've tried it when I first saw the video a while ago. I mean, nothing wrong with it but seems rather pointless.
    1) Overhead press is kinda popular now, so idk why you say no one cares about it

2) Phung says himself that because the OHP isn't a competition lift (unless you compete in strengthlifitng meets) it doesn't matter that you slightly cheat it.

3) It's not pointless if it lets you max out on your ohp better.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerDaClean View Post
    1) Overhead press is kinda popular now, so idk why you say no one cares about it
    Overhead press is popular . . . not so much the anything-goes-as-long-as-you-press-as-much-as-possible-with-mega-layback-arch-with-stretch-reflex-bounce-lift-lift.

2) Phung says himself that because the OHP isn't a competition lift (unless you compete in strengthlifitng meets) it doesn't matter that you slightly cheat it.
    Joe Youtuber says I can squat more without going as deep . . . should I do it

3) It's not pointless if it lets you max out on your ohp better.
    See above

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Joe Youtuber says I can squat more without going as deep . . . should I do it
    Obviously, anything that limits the range of motion isn't acceptable. But this isn't limiting the range of motion. It's make it easier for you to induce more volume on your shoulders and triceps by making the first rep less stressful and limiting. It's basically the touch and go bench version of overhead press.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest
    Rows, LTEs, GHRs, and a ton of other shit aren't comp lifts either, but if there is something that lets the trainee work more total volume over the set over the full ROM of the movement, thereby creating more systemic stress, then it's probably worth consideration.
    My point exactly. For example, when i do chest supported rows, i carry the bar to right above the starting point before i do the first rep. Then i let it down and quickly start the set. I do a similar thing with pullups, except i drop down a bit from a step while hanging from the bar.
    Last edited by PowerDaClean; 05-28-2015 at 08:02 AM.

It is? I've seen maybe 1-2 people do a press with more than 100lbs in the past 2 years of going to a Globo gym. I've seen 10x as many people get into a hack squat machine backwards or do upside down leg presses on the smith machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    It is? I've seen maybe 1-2 people do a press with more than 100lbs in the past 2 years of going to a Globo gym. I've seen 10x as many people get into a hack squat machine backwards or do upside down leg presses on the smith machine.
    • BB.com
    • This site
    • r/weightroom
    • r/fitness
    • r/powerbuilding
    • bunch of other fitness subreddits
    • tnation forums
    • bunch of other lifting forums

You will find plenty of people who love the OHP in the above sites. Also you have Matt Ogus, Nick Wright, Omar Isuf, and now Candito on Youtube, plus many others.

My point exactly. For example, when i do chest supported rows, i carry the bar to right above the starting point before i do the first rep. Then i let it down and quickly start the set. I do a similar thing with pullups, except i drop down a bit from a step while hanging from the bar.
    You do these impromptu-stretch reflex techniques on your 1 rep max t-bar row? your 1 rep max weighted chin up ? Like Jon Fung uses it for his 1RM OHP?

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    The "good" part of this blog is that getting the press going is a bitch and anything to initiate the movement on the first rep will help the lifter work more total volume. That's why you see a lot of folks doing "Press 1.5" where they initiate the hip thrust on the first press and stretch reflex the rest.
    I see your point, but he's using it for 1 utimate 1RM for his OHP. . . not like to start a set of 5 . . .to get "that 1st rep going"

Rows, LTEs, GHRs, and a ton of other shit aren't comp lifts either
    Don't get me wrong, I love the OHP. But its a borderline accessory exercise.
    Its the hardest to "train" (add weight to). And the lifter is in a comprised posistion as far as balance and "back concerns".

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    You do these impromptu-stretch reflex techniques on your 1 rep max t-bar row? your 1 rep max weighted chin up ? Like Jon Fung uses it for his 1RM OHP?
    I don't max out on these lifts, but using the technique allows me to induce more stress on my back and arm musculature by allowing me to do more work with a slightly heavier weight. Remember, this technique isn't just for maxing out, it's useful for rep work as well.

They're not comp lifts for me, so i don't care if it's cheating.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast