starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat depth, DL hips review.

Default Squat depth, DL hips review.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Aloha.

Posting 3 vids here. First is squat from weds. This is at 195 lbs (a 10lb jump from Monday). I felt during the first set that I was shorting the reps, so I video'd the second set and they all looked high. I think I have outrun my 10lb jumps and need to back off and start 5lb jumps. But I'll leave this here in case I'm being a wuss and using these as an excuse to back off. (also, I know the bar is not level, this is due to an injury and being worked on)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYQ4...ature=youtu.be

Next is the DL. I have been having issues detailed in log, but basically, I think my setup has been off with hips too high. Getting back pain and having an incredibly hard time breaking it off the floor on the first rep, but the rest of the reps are cake. Got stuck at a low weight.

The first vid is one that I made at a low weight (95lbs) just to show my setup, that's how high I am trying to push them, maybe a bit lower than usual actually. You can see how it distorts my back (already have kyphosis, this exaggerates it). I'll comment on the second vid after this.

(Note: the table saw to the right provides a great measure for hip height on these lifts with it's bright red leg)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWPu...ature=youtu.be

The last vid is the work set at 225. Initially I am setting up lower as I suspect my setup is off and try lower hips. I barely break the floor but it hurts and stalls immediately. But in same video I then I just go "instinctive" and try to lift it the way my body says and the hips lower even more and I break it easy. This is what I plan to roll with going forward. I don't see my hips lifting before breaking on the successful "first" pull, so this seems to be where my anthropometry says I should be. Comments welcome (polite ones at least):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SibX...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Caradoc; 06-12-2015 at 12:27 AM.

Took a screenshot of the three starting points of the DL:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Degree of shoulder/bar/scapula looks best in the last

Quote Originally Posted by Caradoc View Post
    Getting back pain and having an incredibly hard time breaking it off the floor on the first rep, but the rest of the reps are cake.
    That's because you are doing one deadlift followed by bouncelifts. Start every rep from a dead stop. Have you read the book?

There's zero attempt at squoze in the light set, and not enough in the work set.

Read this:

Deadlift starting Position Critique

Have you read any of the books. Your set up is wrong. You don't squoze. You bounce lift instead of deadlift. I can't tell how far the bar is from your shins and so have no comment about that. You breathe during your lifts which indicates that you do not have any valsalva or squoze. You need a coach and bad and you need to read the books. And, of course, because you don't squoze your back is not straight. I could go into more detail but so much is wrong I don't have the time.

BTW Do NOT lower hips.

First, yes, I've read the book. Multiple times. Per MTs suggestion I have it visible in the background of the video on the table behind the rack. Also PPST and ironically just finished reading about DL in Strong Enough. Transferring reading into physical action for someone who has been extremelyimmobile for a long time isn't as easy as you'd think.

I try to squeeze and valsalva at the beginning but breathe at the top of the reps. Listening to it it does sound like I'm breathing during though.

I honestly didn't consider touch and go as bouncing. I'll make sure I give it a full second down there then.

Getting a coach isn't exactly a viable option as it requires getting on a plane. I'll be heading back to Maui sometime this summer and try to see Josiah. Believe me, if it was an option I'd have one.

Chest up, well, believe it or not I am trying to do that. Looking at this my back isnt anywhere near parallel with the floor, so ill have to figure out how to push that harder. I do wonder how much flexibility impacts that. For example, I can't even reach the bar standing without bending knees and rounding upper back even more.

I'll record today's work and see if I can incorporate any of this, this is the first time I've video'd the DL so maybe it'll help.
    I notice I put this in the wrong section instead of technique, is there any way to move it?

Out of curiosity, where abouts in Hawaii are you situated? I'll be moving back in a few months and could potentially help out

Doc,

Do not exhale or inhale until the plates are back on the floor. BTW I'd guess that since you have something under the plates that you are not working with 45 lb plates. Perhaps even with the blocks the height may not be high enough. I'm not sure why it is so difficult for you to reach down and grab the bar without bending your knee. Perhaps someone else can help you. I've never seen this problem before.

Chad, I'm on Oahu in Mililani.

Carson, there's only a folded towel under the plates, my garage isn't perfectly level and until I shim the platform they keep it from rolling. Probably not even a quarter inch thick. Still a work in progress just built the platform last week. Plates are those cheap fat 45 bumpers.

starting strength coach development program
    For reference on my ROM:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQek...ature=youtu.be

THat is as low as I can get with straight back and legs. Obviously flexibility is an issue but I didn't think it would prevent deadlifting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast