starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is 5/3/1 considered intermediate?

Default Why is 5/3/1 considered intermediate?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I see a lot of 5/3/1 logs in the intermediate logs forum. Why do people think it is an intermediate program? The 5/3/1 program is intended for monthly gains and that makes it an advanced program according to PPST. It seems a lot of intermediates talk here about regressing on 5/3/1 which also indicates it may not be appropriate for intermediates. Wouldn't these folks be better off on Texas Method, Split Routine Model, or Starr Model programs as outlined on PPST?

5/3/1 stands somewhere in between intermediate and advanced programming. Its laid out in the same way that Rip's 'powerlifting split' in practical programming is, and the cycle only goes for 4-5 weeks, half the time of Rip's 'pyramid cycle' set up for advanced lifters.

5/3/1 also caters for people who have demanding lives. In the context of a gym a full body 5x5 routine might take 2 hours to get through, and is going to carry much more fatigue than what a 'bench day' on 5/3/1 would achieve.

In a certain sense, it's weekly progress, in a certain sense, it's longer, but, good grief, do you have to be a Nazi about it?

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
    It seems a lot of intermediates talk here about regressing on 5/3/1 which also indicates it may not be appropriate for intermediates. Wouldn't these folks be better off on Texas Method, Split Routine Model, or Starr Model programs as outlined on PPST?
    Mine and others experience definitely suggests this. As does Practical Programming.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
    It seems a lot of intermediates talk here about regressing on 5/3/1 which also indicates it may not be appropriate for intermediates.
    If people are regressing on a program it makes me wonder how they are carrying out the program. So I checked a couple of recent 5/3/1 logs. I do not see people regressing. Could you give some links to clear examples in the intermediate training logs?

I don't have the experience to comment on what's good for beginner, intermediate, or advanced but I've been doing 5/3/1 since March. The only time I regress is when my job (Active Army) keeps me from my workout schedule for more than two weeks, or when I get impatient and add more than the recommended 5-10 pounds a month. Right now I comfortably bench 300, squat 405, and deadlift 405. Any stalling I've experienced has been directly related to stepping outside the program and trying to load too much too fast.

I mentioned regressing a bit while on it, but it was my first time trying it and I'm sure I didn't have all of the variables working correctly. That, plus the fact that I started it because I was burning out on a high volume, linear program. Add to all that the fact that I wanted to fit back into the clothes I'd brought on deployment and regression makes some sense. I'm guessing a lot of guys want to do 5-3-1 so they can focus less on recovery (eating) and find their abz again.
    I did start making gains though after the first cycle.

I ran a 5/3/1 for 2 months before I discovered Starting Strength. According to PPST2, I am a beginner intermediate, but I saw my best gains ever on the program. So now I'm wondering if I would have made BETTER gains on a "true" intermediate program...

I think 5/3/1 is an intermediate program in that it is still basic linear progression, similiar to beginner programs (which is not optimal for advanced athletes) but uses peaking and a deload, which beginner programs do not.

starting strength coach development program
    I read somewhere that people use 5/3/1 to push into 1000lb squat territory.
    Though that will never be me I will be stabbing myself in the ass before I ever wear a squat suit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast