starting strength gym

Thread: Stuck on TM at 445 squat

Default Stuck on TM at 445 squat

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi KSC: TM programming question for squat.

I'm 5'6, 173lbs, lifting for a year and a half, and squat 440x5 with great difficulty. I've been stuck on the last rep of 445x5 for two months; modifications I've tried so far have failed. I'm not out of ideas yet, but some guidance would be helpful.

I switched to TM last November with 315 volume 350 intensity, and have generally increased both at the same rate, ending up now with a grueling 415 volume 440 intensity. This seems to be about the point where volume needs to drop back, but I just realized this recently.

So far, I've tried:
    - Doing 3RMs, or just trying to get 5 reps in any way -- but I kept trying to increase volume day at the same rate, and then started failing volume day. Possibly could repeat this experiment while holding volume day constant.

- Resetting, then trying to do 445x5 again -- just failed.

- Resetting, then trying 405 volume 445 intensity -- also failed -- but it could be that I wasn't fully recovered at the beginning of the week, since the 405 5x5 felt about as hard as 415 5x5.

I don't know whether switching to 3RMs is a better idea than taking a deload week and trying yet another reset. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey man just FYI this isn't KSCs forum, that's the other programming forum. I don't have any tips as your squat is higher than mine. Beware of this forum, as there are some people who give advice even to people much stronger than them. It's perplexing.

Whoops! Thanks man. I'll repost over there.

Just want to say: holy fuck 445 seems like alot for a 5'6 dude. Nice squat man.

From what others have said in texas method threads, volume day is usually around 85 percent of intensity day. Yours was much higher, even when you went down to 405 for volume.

Similar to me, I kept failing at ~200kg 5RM. Try Dropping the volume to 3x5x380 and work with 3RMs and see what happens. Hold the volume also.

Nice work op. I'm about to go to TM on my squats, and have been poking around the forum.

Here's a pretty good thread on volume day in KSC's forum. There's also a really long thread in this programming subsection devoted to volume day I think.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    Nice work op. I'm about to go to TM on my squats, and have been poking around the forum.

Here's a pretty good thread on volume day in KSC's forum. There's also a really long thread in this programming subsection devoted to volume day I think.
    Should have added a little more, so: Seems like the general idea is back off the volume slowy, and eventually switch to DE programming. And JordanF is another strong lightweight dude, not just a theorist.