starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start of month 2 form check - Squat and Deadlift

Question Start of month 2 form check - Squat and Deadlift

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    This video is from Monday. I hoped to get one this morning during my workout, but I tweaked my back on my 85lb workout set. Not fully sure why. The video shows me lifting 175x5 for my squat as my first workset.

https://youtu.be/zrz6JQUG9yE

The below video jumps straight to my deadlift. I am really working on squoze and understand I have more to do. Planning to start wearing a belt for DL and maybe squat to help me think vasalva and keeping tight against the belt with a big breath. This is of me lifting 245x5.

https://youtu.be/zrz6JQUG9yE?t=42s

I love the DL. So I tend to comment on it more than any other lift. I suggest you make this weight your top work set for another session. Back is still a bit rounded. The weight still moves away from your shin as you lift. To correct these don't wait so long while the bar is on the floor. Gulp air, squoze against the bar and the belt, rock back a tiny bit until you are on your heels and the bar is exactly over the mid foot. This will force the weight to go straight up so you won't be fighting the moment arm as you still tend to do.

Squat: You are still not going deep enough.

Go have a session with a certified SS coach.

Were you the one with the ankle mobility problem? Right.
    If so, from what I remember before, this squat is better than before . . . .you are sitting back more, and not trying to drop your hips straight down(as before), but still not enough . . . but at least you are slowly getting the concept. Your depth is high.

45 degree angle from front or rear would be better for squatting video (side AND 45 good together. . .but just not side only)

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Were you the one with the ankle mobility problem? Right.
    If so, from what I remember before, this squat is better than before . . . .you are sitting back more, and not trying to drop your hips straight down(as before), but still not enough . . . but at least you are slowly getting the concept. Your depth is high.

45 degree angle from front or rear would be better for squatting video (side AND 45 good together. . .but just not side only)
    That was me. Thanks for the feedback. I feel like I am getting lower every time. I keep stretching and it is helping. I will go with the front 45 next time. Maybe side for the first set and front for the second. I'm unable to do a back 45 due to the room setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Kane View Post
    That was me. Thanks for the feedback. I feel like I am getting lower every time. I keep stretching and it is helping. I will go with the front 45 next time. Maybe side for the first set and front for the second. I'm unable to do a back 45 due to the room setup.
    I would try w/ 135 to hit depth, work kinks out of form first . . . THEN slowly add weight.
    See an SS coach . . .would save time in the long run. Sooner you fix form, sooner you can start to add weight.
    Will be harder to deprogram you later.

Most racks allow you to put the j-hooks on either pair of uprights. See if you can put them on the other uprights so that you're looking at the wall when the bar is on your back. Then film rear 45.

A lot of depth problems are due to knees not getting out. I can't say with complete confidence because of the angle, but try widening your stance a hair, pointing your toes out more, and shoving those knees out farther then you think you should.

Thanks MBasic and mgilchrest. I am stuck at getting an SS coach as there are none in the area and Nick Klemetson does come this way occasionally, but we haven't been able to work out something yet.

I will go back to 135 and get the depth. I agree it isn't mobility. That concern was due to a High Bar position and trying to do a Low Bar squat. I just couldn't sit back with the bar that high. I do have an ankle mobility problem, but it isn't the problem with squat depth any more. I do think it is hip flexibility. The only way I can get depth now is to squat without a bar and then hold onto something while I push my butt into the hole. This really stretches my hips and knees and I do it before every squat workout then I try to get back to that position with the bar. I am not getting there still, but after my back heals I will start really focusing on that and getting it right before adding any more weight.

What is CNS?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobnorton View Post
    Most racks allow you to put the j-hooks on either pair of uprights. See if you can put them on the other uprights so that you're looking at the wall when the bar is on your back. Then film rear 45.

A lot of depth problems are due to knees not getting out. I can't say with complete confidence because of the angle, but try widening your stance a hair, pointing your toes out more, and shoving those knees out farther then you think you should.
    My rack only has the holes on the front pillars - not on both so I could only do rear 45 if I did the no-no of taking the bar out and stepping forward and then stepping backwards to put it back. As I will be dropping to 135 to work on depth, I could probably try this as the weight won't be serious enough to be that concerning.

What is CNS?
    Central Nervous System . . .

Some strength adaptions are from physically more muscle . . .
    Some strength adaptions are from the CNS getting better at recruiting more from the muscle motor units. . . .
    If you've never been that deep with ANY appreciable weight, you're just gonna shut down trying to go there with your work-set-weight now.

starting strength coach development program
    Finally got my back pain worked out and was able to lift again today. Please let me know your thoughts. I have 4 clips in this video and will include links to each part for different evaluations.

First clip is of a no-no - I stepped forward after grabbing the bar as I had been asked for a rear view to check feet and grip and since my setup won't allow for a rear shot, I cheated for just this one. It is a warmup and shows me using the support bars as a cue to depth. As I added a little weight, I found I was able to hit them and still keep form. For my reset work sets, I moved the supports lower and tied resistance bands just a bit lower than the support had been.
    https://youtu.be/AGYhhBJp5W8

Second clip is my reset workset at 135 and my second set of 3. I think I am finally getting proper depth on these.
    https://youtu.be/AGYhhBJp5W8?t=59s

Third clip is Press.
    https://youtu.be/AGYhhBJp5W8?t=1m51s

4th clip is deadlift where I really thought about shifting my weight to my heels and scraping my shins with the bar. I think it went well. I actually found the setup on my warmups to be harder than the lifts as I squeezed the life out of me to get my back into extension/flat. Hope I got it.
    https://youtu.be/AGYhhBJp5W8?t=2m25s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast