starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift with hexagonal plates

Default Deadlift with hexagonal plates

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    The gym I go to unfortunately one has hexagonal plates, which makes it quite annoying to properly reset after each deadlift rep. I've been trying to do touch and go for a while, which works alright, but I notice my grip strength fails earlier. What would you guys recommend? Do a properly reset after each rep, even if that might take 4 or 5 seconds? If I rush it and do it in less, I think my starting position and form gets easily messed up.

Check out this discussion on touch and go deadlifts. http://startingstrength.com/resource...ft+touch+reset

How many wheels are you pulling? After 3 it doesnt make that much difference with hex plates as you can alternate the corners of plates. Only problem then is that they are usually a little bit smaller. Which isnt necessarily a bad thing, its like doing deficit deads off a 1 inch block.

I know that touch and go shouldn't be done. I guess, my main question is: is it alright to take 4 or 5 seconds between every rep to properly reset?

How much kg is a wheel? Did 3x5 135 kg.. Good idea with alternating the corners of the plates. Properly resetting will take me 4 or 5 seconds though.

I deadlift thinking that i am doing 1x5 instead. Sometimes the damn plates just rotate in different direction on each side when u set it down.

There are about 50 threads on this subject.. I haven't read them, but if I were in your position I'd definately reset my starting position. The pull off the floor is most important, and I reset my starting position regardless even with round plates. When it gets really fucking heavy, you'll probably take a few seconds between reps anyways.

I think that is fine to take a second and reset but happy to be corrected if not. I figure its better to get properly set and keep my form even if it takes a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemn View Post
    How much kg is a wheel? Did 3x5 135 kg.. Good idea with alternating the corners of the plates. Properly resetting will take me 4 or 5 seconds though.
    3 wheels would be 140kg. 20kg x 6 (plates) + 20kg bar = 140kg.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemn View Post
    I know that touch and go shouldn't be done. I guess, my main question is: is it alright to take 4 or 5 seconds between every rep to properly reset?
    This, unfortunately, is what you are going to have to do. A preferable option would be to buy two of your own round plates, and leave them at the gym. This will allow you to roll the bar around to re-position between reps.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 11-04-2011 at 06:08 PM.