starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chinup strength guidelines

Default chinup strength guidelines

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Dear sir;

Without sounding too ingratiating, I have followed and advocated much of your books and lessons, esp the strength standards for untrained - elite lifters as determined by you, kilgore, etc.

My question is, can you recall or divulge a quick estimate of standards as to what a 181 or 198lb lifter can be held to regarding weighted chinups? Eg i am 180 and can bench 238 (right in the middle of of intermediate and advanced) but I can chin my bw + weight fora total of 250. Is that on par, or behind, or advanced compared to my bench?

If you have the time to answer I appreciate it very much.

It's pretty damned strong. Elite, if I was guessing. I have no ideas for a chinup table of standards.

Default ??

Bankotsu, are you chinning with 250 extra pounds or 70 extra pounds?

Because, Rip, I can't see how chinning with 70 extra pounds is elite, and chinning with 250 extra pounds at 180 is crazy strong...

Yeah, shit, read it wrong. You're doing well, but 70 lbs. is not elite, even if there were a table.

One of the things I found in those tables at the back of PP was a way to compare my progress with that of the other lifters I know, almost all of whom are male. The ratio between the 181 and 198 pound men's numbers and the 132 and 148 pound women's numbers is about 2 to 1 for all the exercises and levels of ability.

So my rule of thumb is, if a guy who weighs 50 pounds more than me can't lift at least twice what I can, I'm not impressed.

If the same strength-to-weight-to-gender ratio applies to pullups, then if a 132 pound woman can pull herself up, that's the equivalent level of ability to a 181 pound man moving 264 pounds, or himself plus 83. You can fiddle with the numbers if you want based on the weight of the forearms which aren't moving, but it doesn't make that much difference.

So, to me, bankotsu's bench press looks good, but he has some work to do on his chinups.

The tables are causing me problems again.

Sounds like you need to send some SS devotees out to everyone's house and rip those pages out of every published book, and somehow purge those tables from the internet...

If I were you, I'd just go ahead and remove them from the next edition of PP.

"So my rule of thumb is, if a guy who weighs 50 pounds more than me can't lift at least twice what I can, I'm not impressed."

Well damn if that doesn't make you sound like a snobby little beotch.
    When you do a chinup with 70 lbs around your waist, let us know. Then we can be "impressed"!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by isis View Post
    ...then if a 132 pound woman can pull herself up, that's the equivalent level of ability to a 181 pound man moving 264 pounds, or himself plus 83. ...
    So, to me, bankotsu's bench press looks good, but he has some work to do on his chinups.
    It doesn't work this way. Weighted chin-ups aren't equivalent to chinning at a higher bodyweight, the same weight on the (chin-up) bar for the same person at different body weights is harder with a belt. Plus your thoughts here could serve as a justification for sucking at chinups. Nobody counts bodyweight lifted in the squat, or rip's incredible arms when he presses. Weighted chinup proficiency should only consider weight on the belt and for unweighted chins simply ones max.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast