starting strength gym

Thread: I can't get my knees to allign with my feet?

Default I can't get my knees to allign with my feet?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi

I have been trying for some time to allign my knees with feet during a squat.

In the book "Starting Strength" it sais I should squat down and shove my knees out with my elbows.

However when i try this the position of my feet simply changes:
    Either way my feet do not stay flat on the floor (so i only stand on the outside edge of my feet)
    Or my toes point out further than before (example from 30? stance to 45? stance as i bring my knees to 30?)

In your book you say "The only way to fix the knees-in position: shoving the knees out and
    keeping them there until the adductors strengthen."
    But I simply can't get them in the correct position anyways...

Is there anything i can do to fix this?

Thank you for your time!

Not everybody's feet are put on straight. It may be that you need to use more toe angle than a normal, well-constructed human. Point them out more and see if they stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico M View Post
    However when i try this the position of my feet simply changes:
    Either way my feet do not stay flat on the floor (so i only stand on the outside edge of my feet)
    Or my toes point out further than before (example from 30? stance to 45? stance as i bring my knees to 30?)
    I have found that some people have ankles that naturally roll in. These people experience this problem when they squat, but it is fixed when i tell them to squat while pushing their feet out so they feel like they are on the outsides of their feet.

Obviously do not squat while haphazardly balanced on the sides of your feet, but if pushing them out so it feels like they are on the outsides while still being some what stable perhaps that will allow you to get your knees in line with your feet.

I have tried different widths and angles..
    But the problem remains.. I can never get my knees to the same degree as my toes

I've had a similar issue, and realized (without checking with Coach, although he sounds as if he'd approve) that the focus of Starting Strength is on using your body the way it is meant to be used. So, I just squat so that it feels as if my femurs are parallel to my feet, and there is no twisting in my knees at all. My toes actually point out a tad more than my knees, and one slightly more than the other. None of us are perfectly symmetrical.

As to the "outside of your feet" thing, I've had the same issue, and have ultimately ended up with my heels right at shoulder-width, a good bit wider than they had been before. That keeps me flat. I found that by doing the "bottom-of-the-squat" stretch and experimenting, I just found the position where I had the most stable, solid base. That's now my stance - toes at probably 40 degrees, heels under th outsides of my shoulders. That's me, but do the same experimentation, and you'll find it.

If he's crooked, should he still breed?

Oh GOD no. But he does need to be coached.

Try pointing your feet a little more forward. For myself, I found that, being a duck footed person, My feet tended to be pointed out way too far (like Coach said, some people's feet aren't put on straight). So what happened when I tried to put my knees over my toes was I practically doing the splits. SO..I tried to point my feet in a bit, which required a little bit of flexibility work in the ankle, and now I squat more comfortably. Point - Keep playing around until you find what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
    I have found that some people have ankles that naturally roll in.
    This is probably fixed with proper foot wear.

Quote Originally Posted by papabear16 View Post
    I've had a similar issue, and realized (without checking with Coach, although he sounds as if he'd approve) that the focus of Starting Strength is on using your body the way it is meant to be used. So, I just squat so that it feels as if my femurs are parallel to my feet, and there is no twisting in my knees at all. My toes actually point out a tad more than my knees, and one slightly more than the other. None of us are perfectly symmetrical.
    I think you've taken some liberties in your assessment. Your body, given your set of anthropometric and orthopedic concerns, functions in a way that will move things in the most mechanically efficient way possible. It may be that you are "crooked" like the original poster. However, it may be that you are not crooked and that you "feel" correct when you actually aren't.

People feel like they are doing the correct thing all the time in barbell training, and the truth is they have no clue what is going on in their body (I was included in this truth). That's why coaching is necessary to teach the person how to kinesthetically feel the proper position, and this is why no one is exempt from coaching.

Your advice may apply to you (if you are, in fact, crooked), or someone else who is crooked, but to give the advice that people should just get to the point where they "feel" it is right is not going to be productive for those who are un-crooked.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
    I have found that some people have ankles that naturally roll in. These people experience this problem when they squat, but it is fixed when i tell them to squat while pushing their feet out so they feel like they are on the outsides of their feet.

Obviously do not squat while haphazardly balanced on the sides of your feet, but if pushing them out so it feels like they are on the outsides while still being some what stable perhaps that will allow you to get your knees in line with your feet.
    Even visualizing that I am pushing the earth apart in two pieces still doesn't do the job

Quote Originally Posted by papabear16 View Post
    I thaught the same in the beginning.. untill my knee started to hurt

So should I just keep trying untill I am eventually able to allign my knee? Or should I do some kind of exercise to improve my "pushing-knees-out-ability" ?