starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: putting a zinc coating on my B&R bar

Default putting a zinc coating on my B&R bar

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mr. Rippetoe,

I keep my B&R bar out in my shed and over time it has started to rust a bit. I don't think it has been rusting long enough to cause any serious damage to it - but I definitely need to do something about it.

My plan of attack is to get a wire wheel and some thinner and remove all of the rust that I can. What ever is left - I was going to put a good coat of Ospho primer on (http://www.ospho.com/directions.htm). After that - I'll wire wheel/thinner the primer off and put a coat of zinc on the entire bar. I know bars are commonly coated with zinc, but I was also told that coating a bar with zinc can be toxic?

I was just wondering if you see anything wrong with my plan and if using the zinc can actually be a realistic safety hazard. Thanks.

Why don't you just move the bar into the house?

I think Rips suggestion is best. I read some articles put out by the Ivanko barbell company that were very enlightening. Turns out the zinc coating processes (at least the electrochemical methods) can em-brittle the bar which can weaken it to the point of catastrophic failure.

You can read some of them here.

http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/

Ivanko's CEO goes on and on about them not coating the olympic bars anymore and requiring very high tensile strength steel to resist permanent bends developing in the bar. I compared their specs with the B&R bar specs and they are pretty much the same thing. Ivanko bar about $1000 and B&R bar about $300. I stupidly bought a rogue bar (which isn't bad but the rogue bar doesn't even compare to Ivanko or the B&R bar) before I learned all this and though I probably won't break or bend the stupid thing I wish I would have bought the B&R bar. It is certainly worth much more than the $30 it costs over the rogue bar.

Hindsight pisses me off sometimes.

I thought the rusting was what you wanted to happen with the B&R bar? Anyway if not obviously remove it from the humidity, and for the rust I've read that soaking paper towels in vinegar(I think thats what it was) then wrapping them around the rusted parts pretty much got rid of it.

No, Matt, you don't let a bar RUST. It oxidizes over time, but this is not rust, which is a different piece of chemistry.

I could do that, my shed is about 100 yards from the house so I guess it boils down to - it'd just be aggravating. I'd rather put the zinc coat on and be done with it. Plus it'd be a fun little "project".

Would the zinc really hinder the bar that much? If it's going to make the quality of my bar turn to shit and bend easily then I definitely don't want that.

Any word on the coating a bar with zinc being potentially toxic statement?

Dillman, which of those articles specifically address zinc coatings?

Quote Originally Posted by Dillman View Post
    I think Rips suggestion is best. I read some articles put out by the Ivanko barbell company that were very enlightening. Turns out the zinc coating processes (at least the electrochemical methods) can em-brittle the bar which can weaken it to the point of catastrophic failure.
    Steels with ultimate strengths in excess of 150,000 psi are prone to hydrogen embrittlement when electrogalvanized or hot dipped galvanized. Mechanical galvanizing does not cause this problem, but trying to mechanically galvanize something long like a bar is not practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenso View Post
    I could do that, my shed is about 100 yards from the house so I guess it boils down to - it'd just be aggravating. I'd rather put the zinc coat on and be done with it. Plus it'd be a fun little "project".
    The process of applying a zinc coating is called "galvanizing." The method you would have to use involves molten zinc, which is hot enough to de-temper the bar. And it would flow into the bushings and fill the knurl. Why don't you just paint it silver if you don't have time to take care of it?

Would the zinc really hinder the bar that much? If it's going to make the quality of my bar turn to shit and bend easily then I definitely don't want that.
    You bought the best bar on the market for the money, and now you want to fuck it up over a 100-yard walk.

Any word on the coating a bar with zinc being potentially toxic statement?
    You can buy a zinc-plated bar, so they're probably not a threat to public health.

Maybe you could read them yourself and see. Or call Dillman and have him read them to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenso View Post
    Would the zinc really hinder the bar that much?

The articles that say something about a barbell breaking would be the ones to read.

I don't do readings unless you are less than 5 years and happen to share my last name.

Treat your bar with oil periodically like the rogue folks show here

I believe Rip suggests something similar in his video on determining straightness in a used barbell.

The oil treatment will develop a protective coating that won't ruin your fine barbell.
    I think your bar should be able to handle a little humidity if you treat it right. Perhaps you can avoid the 100 yard march.

starting strength coach development program
    I suppose I could just live with a layer of paint on it. I'll investigate that side of it. I didn't realize that I'd have to go through the galvanization process to apply zinc. At the very least - I'm a little more educated now.

You are usually condescending in your response(s) but you almost always give people the useful advice that they seek. I do appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast