starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyperlordosis + Pelvic Pbliquity

Default Hyperlordosis + Pelvic Pbliquity

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Rip,

so I was at a doctor today and we finally figured out whats causing my constant lower back pain.
    I have hyperlordosis and pelvic obliquity on the right side.

Here is a picture of the x-ray from today:

That hyperlordisis is now the problem that my lower back cramps up sometimes after squatting and that my pelvis pops wierd sometimes (as u can see how bad it sticks out).

The doc said its ok that I am moving heavy weigths but I have to take care of my technique. He also said I should sit on a gymnastic ball in the office (office job 80% sitting a day) and I got orthopedic insoles.

I know that stuff like that was already discussed as far as I know (of course I used the search function). But there is still some stuff I just don't get.

When I squat I have to flex my lower back muscles (yes I can control them) and my abs to get a neutral spine, right? The problem is, when I flex my lower back muscle I overextend my lumbar spine really bad cause of my hyperlordosis (while still fexing my abs).
    Could this now has also something to do with rounding my lower back on deadlifts and on the ascending movement while squatting?

I know you are not a doctor Rip and I know that you probably cant cure my hyperlordosis. But I know that you can give me really good advice cause you know a lot! I also read your books.

I really would appreciate your help Rip.

Thank you,
    Daniel
    Attached Images Attached Images

You don't look hyperlordotic to me, although L5-S1 looks odd. Get another opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You don't look hyperlordotic to me, although L5-S1 looks odd. Get another opinion.
    Odd how?

The funny thing is that I was already at about 10 different doctors. Nobody could tell me what I have, every doc said "you are fine" and gave me a recipe for physiotherapy... thats it. So I really can say I am out of opinions over here.

I only get back pain if i stand or sit to long and sometimes when I squat. If I have that back pain and I stretch my hip flexor and foam roll my lower back the pain is like blown away.

Today I lowered my weight from 320lbs to 300lbs cause my form broke again (lower back rounded on the way up). I did a set with 300lbs. I tried hard to not move my knees back on the first ascending movement. Is it normal that the inner side of the thighs is getting way more work that way? It also was easier to keep my lower back straight that way. Did I maybe use my quads always to much?

What would you say Rip? I really appreciate you help... don't know were to start right now...

By the way I think about to go to the states next year and I also planned to visit your gym, but I still need to safe a little bit...

If your form is breaking down, it's not unusual that your back would hurt. I don't think you are hyperlordotic, and I don't know how the X-ray was taken, so I also don't know about your L5-S1. I'd say the same thing I always do: lower the load until your form is perfect, and then go up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If your form is breaking down, it's not unusual that your back would hurt. I don't think you are hyperlordotic, and I don't know how the X-ray was taken, so I also don't know about your L5-S1. I'd say the same thing I always do: lower the load until your form is perfect, and then go up from there.
    Will do that Rip. But the thing with the inner thighs? Should they get that much work? Cause I really feel, that when I'm pushing more with my quads that my back rounds more.

About the x-ray: I was standing, it was taken from the side and I was kinda trying to stay straight.

What kind of doctor did you see?

Don't wear MORE heels if you have a pelvic tilt.
    Flat soled shoes for everyday life.

I just realized about a month ago How important it is not to over extend the lower back. Concentrate more on keeping you back neutral by pushing your abs out and then squeezing everything tight.

Sometimes trying to achieve that arch in our lower back is a lot easier than we think. I've never tweaked my back doing any rounded back or neutral lifting but when I would go for the arch and stick my ass back is when I would hurt myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BamFTW View Post
    Will do that Rip. But the thing with the inner thighs? Should they get that much work? Cause I really feel, that when I'm pushing more with my quads that my back rounds more.
    I don't know about feelings and the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by gettinstrong View Post
    I just realized about a month ago How important it is not to over extend the lower back. Concentrate more on keeping you back neutral by pushing your abs out and then squeezing everything tight.
    Pushing your abs out?

starting strength coach development program
    I initially thought that if you pushed your "gut" out that it was good enough to brace your midsection. I didn't realize how important it was to push your gut out and then squeeze your abs hard to where you feel your lower back bulge out a little.

Now that I'm using my abs correctly my spine feels neutral and it also allows me to achieve proper depth which I've always struggled to achieve.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast