starting strength gym

Thread: Lifelong Strength

Default Lifelong Strength

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Rip,

I spent several months reading through your forum from the beginning (2007). There is a lot of really helpful knowledge in there and for those of you who spend a lot of time on this forum, I would highly recommend it.

There was one question that came up over and over again in slightly different forms, and you gave slightly different answers each time depending on how the question was asked. I thought I would try to summarize what I think your advice is on the topic and you can clarify if I have misunderstood.

Question: I want to be strong and healthy for as long as possible. I am not interested in breaking any world records or even winning any regional events. How should I modify your program for lifelong strength?

Summary of Rip’s Thoughts:
    • When you put stress on the human body, then allow for proper recovery, it recovers stronger than it was before. This is true for 18 and 60 year olds alike.

• No matter how safe you are, injuries still happen. It sucks. If you are going to train, be prepared that one day you will probably sustain an injury.

• To maximize strength and minimize injuries, follow the points below:
    o Start with Starting Strength and don’t change a thing. Do the program, as written, until it stops working.
    o “Stops working” defined: 3 workouts when you don’t hit your desired reps; reset; 3 more workouts where you don’t hit your desired reps. At this point you might be ready for an intermediate program

• Intermediate Training: The Texas method works well, and so do others. Find one that works for you, but, sets of 5 should still make up the bulk of your programming. Whether it is volume with 5 x 5 or intensity with 1 x 5, 5 repetitions is the magic number.
    o When you get stuck with sets of 5, mix in sets of 3 repetitions.
    o Do not start pushing your 1RM
    o Competitors are focused on winning events, not preserving their bodies or lifelong strength. Leave the 1RM for those athletes.

• Push yourself to hit bigger 5RM and 3RM numbers and you will be very strong and minimize your chance of injury. Happy training!

A decent summary. Have you read PPST3 yet? More material about Masters lifting has been included.

Thanks for the summary. I can't believe I am reading about masters already.

I think it's prudent, if not more prudent than the programming aspects, to address technique. Find an SS coach, get your form absolutely rock solid, and check in with him/her occasionally to make sure things are still going well. Or go to one, then post videos/form checks etc in the coaches section. While programming intelligently is certainly important for injury prevention, you can accumulate a whole lot of stress on your body with good form before it breaks. With bad form, you can get injured as early as the LP, even though the weights seem light.

I have not. I have a very used PPST1.

While not a Master yet, I am very interested in this topic at this point in my life. I spent my 20s as a Marine Infantry Officer. I pushed my body to the extreme every day for years. I am now 34, finishing grad school, and have two young boys. My fitness goals revolve around the fact that I want to be able to play sports and climb trees with my boys and one day their children for as long as possible.

You probably haven't read the 3rd edition BBT either. Big Dave is right. Perfect technique is the first thing you worry about if injury prevention is a big concern, more important that programming.

I have Starting Strength 2nd Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Perfect technique is the first thing you worry about if injury prevention is a big concern, more important that programming.
    Amen and yea verily, amen to that. I suffered from back and shoulder problems for decades having never learned proper technique in the squat, deadlift, and bench press. I quit doing all three for over ten years in my early 40's. Compounded by behind the neck presses and pulldowns. But two years ago Rip and Co. fixed my form problems and at 63 I'm pretty much injury free and lifting heavy.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardmgonzalez View Post
    I have Starting Strength 2nd Edition
    We make new editions for compelling reasons, not merely for sales.