starting strength gym

Thread: Those with ACL tear, which graft did you choose?

Default Those with ACL tear, which graft did you choose?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm coming up on my ACL surgery on September 12th, along with a repair of my torn meniscus. My doctor provided me with the patella or hamstring graft options. He feels the patella would be a better option for me considering my love for weight training, jumping, rec sports, etc. He likes how it's bone tendon bone. I'm 29 years old. I left the office saying, "Yeah, that sounds good." These are some very good doctors at Summit Orthopedics in Minnesota.

I am a man of research and sometimes it doesn't do me well, meaning I look at every forum, read journal articles, you name it, I've seen it. What concerns me is the anterior knee pain that people keep discussing. I'm all for continuing to play athletics and lift weights, but I don't want long term knee pain for the rest of my life.

For those who have had the surgery done, which graft did you choose and how has the recovery been? I'm really curious to hear people's thoughts. Thanks so much!

There are many threads on this already so you will want to try the search function. But since you asked, I will tell you that I did the hamstring autograft and it was not the best choice for me. If your insurance will cover it, ask your surgeon to prescribe a continuous passive motion (CPM) and cryo-cuff for post surgery.

I had the patella graft. Don't choose either option, get the cadaver graft (allograft I think it's called). No reason to cut perfectly healthy tissue in your leg. None.