starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instability in the bench press

Default Instability in the bench press

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've been benching for quite some time now , but I think I still have technique problems.
    I try to bench with powerlifting technique , I've learnt to arch my lower back quite a bit , but I feel very instable and not tight when pressing heavy weights. I also feel like I haven't got much control over the barbell , as my right arm is kinda stronger than my left arm , and the bar is no longer horizontal. I don't have that problem with light weights though , only 85% +.

bench more frequently for a bit 3+x a week close to 80ish% and you'll learn quick

I had the same problem. Once I belted up, I felt a LOT more stable.

This was done unfortunately with a belt. The bar doesn't go up in a straight path , and my back and legs are a bit shaky.

What position are your feet in?

a bit wide , and only my toes are in contact with the ground. My bench is currently stalled and I think it's because of that.
    Here is what it looked like.
    Week 1 : 110KG x 2 : And I think I had another one
    Week 2 : 110KG x 2 : I had no chalk and thought that was the reason I couldn't go for more
    Week 3 : 110KG x 2 : Chalked up and barely did the second rep , like it was a helluva grinder.
    And then my shoulders started hating on me.
    I took a week off of benching and started over today with just 100KG , but still felt instable.
    I also decided to stop doing sets of less than 4 reps

Here's a vid of a backoff set at just 85KG. (sorry for it being upside down , the video is being processed by youtube)
    Doesn't look very tight , and still looks better than my heavy sets
    Last edited by exter; 05-17-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Could try flat footed. I feel most stable with wide feet pulled back as far as I can without my heels coming up. I feel unstable with my feet way under me on my toes.

Thank you I'll try that. But even my upper body feels unstable , I don't feel like I'm controlling the bar. Some guys actually look like they're pulling the bar towards them and reverse the motion very powerfully but without any motion of the torso or the legs.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    Could try flat footed. I feel most stable with wide feet pulled back as far as I can without my heels coming up. I feel unstable with my feet way under me on my toes.
    I second this. I cue myself to push up through my heels when I'm doing a 90%+ bench. As far as upper body stability, I think of myself "bending" the bar inward as I descend, and tearing the bar apart in the middle as I ascend. It sounds kind of weird, but it works for me to get the bar to rise evenly, along with using the "eye" cues in Starting Strength.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast