starting strength gym

Thread: Hook grip troubles on DL w/small hands

Default Hook grip troubles on DL w/small hands

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Unfortunately I've been, ahem, blessed with small hands. My middle finger is only 3" long and my hand from end to end is 7".

This is annoying now that the deadlift weight is getting heavier. Today when I pulled my working set, I almost failed the second rep because I couldn't keep ahold of the thumb.

I switched to regular overhand grip and finished my set just fine. I'm sure it'll get better, but I was under the impression that the hook grip was better than the regular overhand grip. Is that not true?

If you can hold onto the bar using the regular DOH grip, that's the ideal grip. As long as you continue to 'finish your sets just fine', keep using that.

Beyond that, hook grip is good if a) it is more secure for you (which might not be the case for people with small hands), and b) you don't mind the pain.

If hook grip doesn't work for you, you'll have to choose between straps and mixed grip. There are pros and cons to both. If you plan to compete in powerlifting, you have to use the mixed grip. If you're only deadlifting because you like the lift, or you're using it to strengthen your clean/snatch/squat say, or grip strength isn't important for you for whatever reason, then you should then give straps some thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    If you can hold onto the bar using the regular DOH grip, that's the ideal grip. As long as you continue to 'finish your sets just fine', keep using that.

Beyond that, hook grip is good if a) it is more secure for you (which might not be the case for people with small hands), and b) you don't mind the pain.

If hook grip doesn't work for you, you'll have to choose between straps and mixed grip. There are pros and cons to both. If you plan to compete in powerlifting, you have to use the mixed grip. If you're only deadlifting because you like the lift, or you're using it to strengthen your clean/snatch/squat say, or grip strength isn't important for you for whatever reason, then you should then give straps some thought.
    Got it. I'll just go to mixed grip when double overhand isn't enough any more. Thanks!

My hands seem to be the same size as yours... I don't really have a problem with hook grip.

Are you using chalk?

No, not yet. I imagine it would help, but a requirement at 190lb, really?

Get chalk, it'll help 100%. I''ve got as small or smaller hands than you and use the hook grip fine (i cracked my thumb last time though..), but I have pretty sweaty hands.

Deadlift is the only movement I use the chalk for, so it lasts forever and doesnt make a mess too. Seriously, last time I forgot it I rode all the way home because I didn't want to fail my deadlifts (which I would've).

Yea, I'll try some. I'm just confused as to why double overhand gripped better since I thought hook was supposed to be stronger. Oh well, thanks.

starting strength coach development program
    Hook is definately stronger. Not sure if it develops grip strength more or less (at the same weight), but you start using hook when doh fails, so we'll never know.