starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to improve flexibility for the Squat

Question How to improve flexibility for the Squat

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hey
    I've got bit of a problem with getting the bar low enough on the back while also having a tight back and narrow grip . I can't seem to stretch that far back and the bar just wants to roll up. I've tried doing shoulder dislocations but it doesnt seem to be enough.

I assume some of you might have had this problem and might have some good tips for me to improve flexibility?

Appriciate any advice you might have, thanks.

just use a wider grip for now.

I had this issue when I began SS too. Did tons of dislocations, wider grip etc, and still was hurting my shoulder and having trouble with positioning. Turns out for me it was flexibility at all, but not squeezing my shoulders back/tight enough back. Once I figured it out the discomfort went away immediately and I am able to use a close grip without feeling much shoulder rotation at all. There was a vid on youtube that someone had linked here that kind of clicked it for me. I'm at work now, but I could link it later if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by newguy32 View Post
    I had this issue when I began SS too. Did tons of dislocations, wider grip etc, and still was hurting my shoulder and having trouble with positioning. Turns out for me it was flexibility at all, but not squeezing my shoulders back/tight enough back. Once I figured it out the discomfort went away immediately and I am able to use a close grip without feeling much shoulder rotation at all. There was a vid on youtube that someone had linked here that kind of clicked it for me. I'm at work now, but I could link it later if you want.
    Yes please that would be great.

Im going in to Squat tomorrow morning so would be cool to have some things to try out.

I struggle with this a lot as I broke my clavicle. One thing that I kinda figured out is that it helps a lot if I get under the bar evenly right off the bat. Before, I was getting one shoulder under and then bringing the other under. This is probably related to what newguy32 said about scapulae position.

Also, I found that keeping my head down until I was up tight on the bar has helped. Then I turn my head up, step forward a bit and push it down into position.

no guarantee that this'll help but this is the video that finally clicked for me (before I bought Rips video though, which is great).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZ1HzoH0Rw#t=4m10s

Previous to that I was having lots of trouble finding the right bar position and, if you've ever done any grappling, it felt like I was putting myself in an americana and trying to lift 150 lbs in that position. For me the wider grip did not help either, as the problem was excessive shoulder rotation caused by a loose back and poor bar position. I was beginning to think I might be causing real damage to my shoulder. Now of course doing it right feels very good, I'm up to 280# now.

Quote Originally Posted by newguy32 View Post
    no guarantee that this'll help but this is the video that finally clicked for me (before I bought Rips video though, which is great).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZ1HzoH0Rw#t=4m10s

Previous to that I was having lots of trouble finding the right bar position and, if you've ever done any grappling, it felt like I was putting myself in an americana and trying to lift 150 lbs in that position. For me the wider grip did not help either, as the problem was excessive shoulder rotation caused by a loose back and poor bar position. I was beginning to think I might be causing real damage to my shoulder. Now of course doing it right feels very good, I'm up to 280# now.
    Dude, thank you so much for this video. I didn't get this far into the series. Clearly I need to watch them all. I think I had the same problem as you - americana'd lol.

Aha, thanks for the video.

Did some squats today, still not quite getting it and its turning into a hybrid of low bar squat and high bar squat or something.

I tried filming my squat today but I was alone at the gym so I had to set the phone up to the wall and therefore its only form one angle, it doesnt show my depth but its the shoulder/back I was concerned about anyway and its a bit far off but still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqL0nGW5PAg

Watching it im starting to think that maybe I should put the bar further down for when I unrack it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhall View Post
    Aha, thanks for the video.

Did some squats today, still not quite getting it and its turning into a hybrid of low bar squat and high bar squat or something.

I tried filming my squat today but I was alone at the gym so I had to set the phone up to the wall and therefore its only form one angle, it doesnt show my depth but its the shoulder/back I was concerned about anyway and its a bit far off but still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqL0nGW5PAg

Watching it im starting to think that maybe I should put the bar further down for when I unrack it.
    Your hands are quite close and it's a high bar squat. Widening your hands should get you the extra 2-3'' or so to get to low bar position.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks I'll try that on monday. I've been wanting to have a wider grip, but Rippetoe said in the videos that one is supposed to have a narrow grip to get things alligned in the back.

But I see in Newguy32's video that the guy in the video actually has a much wider grip. I'll definitly try to widen it.
    Last edited by Valhall; 05-14-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast