starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diet: Another Lose Weight + SS Thread

Default Diet: Another Lose Weight + SS Thread

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've seen variants of this discussed before, but couldn't quite make out a consensus.

I know most people on SS are trying for a caloric surplus to put on weight. I have a ready caloric surplus handy already, which I'm trying to make go away. I've recently focused on shifting some of the carbs in my diet to protein, and trying to cut out more sugary crap.

If you lost weight while on SS, did you also make dietary adaptations and if so, what? My concern is maintaining adequate recovery while in a net caloric deficit.

Shayne
    Last edited by schodge; 02-02-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schodge View Post
    I've seen variants of this discussed before, but couldn't quite make out a consensus.

Subject: 28 year old male, 5'11, weight begins with a 3. Will not give up carbs / go paleo. Currently around 110 OP, 170 BP, 300 S, 225 DL, though I'm beginning to find it highly variable depending on the day.

I know most people on SS are trying for a caloric surplus to put on weight. I have a ready caloric surplus handy already, which I'm trying to make go away. I'm down about 20 lbs in ~5 months, plus an obvious increase in muscle mass. I've recently focused on shifting some of the carbs in my diet to protein, and trying to cut out more sugary crap. Post work out meals these days are looking like a large sandwich, a bowl of soup, and a side of tabouleh. (Good supermarket deli by work).

Any other suggestions? I see most protein suggestions are for red meat, but I was thinking of getting the crockpot into gear doing various legume-things while I'm at work (split-pea soup with ham hock, anyone?).
    Anyone managed to lose weight while maintaining strength gains?

Shayne
    Why don't you want to lower your carbs and eat less or no grains? That is almost guaranteed to take the weight off easily.
    Also subbing beans for meat is never a good idea if you can afford to buy meat.
    Your lifts are probably highly variable because you aren't eating right. What is a typical day of food for you?

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Why don't you want to lower your carbs and eat less or no grains?
    Or if you do, make sure they are really hearty grains, no simple carbs or white bread.

As long as you are 1. cleaning up your diet and therefore eating LESS calories that maintenance 2. eating ~1g protein/#BW you should do great. =)

Just to clarify, are you replacing some of your animal protein with legumes or are adding legumes in addition to the animal protein you eat? And yes, what's your typical diet?

As for retaining strength: I have. It's very doable (lift heavy, low volume). Now gaining strength? oh I wish =( *sniff*

I lost 40 lb in six months easily on paleo, without very much hunger. Low carbing works for a number of good physiological reasons, some involving differential satiety signaling, and some hormonal, and bread isn't good for people. It's also conducive to eating lots of protein. So my one clear suggestion, that worked amazingly for me and changed my entire health picture, is the one thing you won't do. How about going paleo just for breakfast and 1/2 your lunches, or trying it for one full month?

edit:nevermind.. i read closer.

Quote Originally Posted by schodge View Post
    Will not give up carbs / go paleo.

Anyone managed to lose weight while maintaining strength gains?
    Yes.

By going "Paleo."

Or you could just keep doing it your way...

Was thinking of adding legumes to diet, not necessarily replacing anything; they seemed an easy way to add protein with variety.

I understand paleo has strong advocates here and I'm not doubting its efficacy. I'm curious if people have workable alternatives, even if less optimal. I've tried to (and have) cut back on carbs, but a proper paleo diet basically targets my favorite food groups for deletion, and I'm not going to give them up entirely so long as I'm still making progress, albeit slow. It may be fairer to say I'm trying to do the "do's" of paleo (more meat, more vegetables) but not necessarily the don'ts.

My question wasn't really intended to be about paleo as it was the possibility of gaining strength while in a net caloric deficit given plenty of body reserves to fund the deficit. My naive assumption is that energy needs will be cared for from stored fat; I should concentrate my diet on obtaining enough protein and vitamins/minerals for muscle mass gain.

you're asking for the optimal situation without giving your body optimal resources.

you're half-assing your commitment to diet, and right now that's more important for you than training

starting strength coach development program
    So you want a diet where you can eat what the diet recommends, and also eat what the diet recommends you don't eat. Lol. So you want a diet where you can eat whatever you want.

I suppose if that's your diet parameters, my advice would be "eat less"

Don't stuff your face to max. Drink more water. Eat slowly.

Meh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast