starting strength gym

Thread: Training post-hysterectomy

Default Training post-hysterectomy

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Good morning, Rip:

I would like to pick your brain regarding a training plan for my wife. She had surgery about a year ago to remove a bunch of her ‘lady bits’ due to ripping/prolapse, probably caused by childbirth. She is now asking me to build her a training plan to help her regain lost muscle tone and strength.

The catch is that her doctor has advised her to strictly avoid any squatting, jumping or running motions. The intent is to avoid any downward pressure tending to recreate her condition. I assume this includes deadlifts.

As a powerlifter and devout worshipper in the church of barbell training, I am at a bit of a loss. I have her doing some seated and supine stuff like triceps extensions and dumbbell overhead press, but my training vocabulary lacks anything substantial for her back/butt/legs.

Would you be willing to offer any suggestions?

Did he actually repair the abdominal floor? Is he worried that she hasn't healed properly? Is there some reason she cannot adapt to increasing loads with her freshly-repaired muscles?

Not the floor, but the rear wall. I believe the concern stems from worry about the bladder falling. He did not install a sling, and is hoping not to need to go back in.

I guess I'll need more information on her case. But in general, if she can squat down and stand back up, she can do it with a little more weight day after tomorrow. Etc.

The doc said no squatting at all, but you're right. There is no reason that she wouldn't be able to start somewhere and gradually increase the load. I'll ask the doc to recommend a starting point.

Thanks, Rip.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I'll ask the doc to recommend a starting point.
    You don't seem to understand. How is this no-doubt incredibly talented man equipped to recommend a squat weight when he doesn't know what the word "squat" actually means?

starting strength coach development program
    By "squat", I believe he meant bending at the knee to reach things around the house, not an excercise.