starting strength gym

Thread: Strength training for soccer players

Default Strength training for soccer players

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Dear Rippetoe,

In one of your articles I could read that you are a former soccer player, a fact that suprised me greatly. I wonder, as I train a bunch of great 10-year old kids - including my own son - in soccer, what kind of eventual strength training would be fitting for them?

(These kids practises a lot, they have four organised practises (one which is mine) per week, a game on top of that, and lots of playing in their own free time, and in school)

The curious thing is - if you look at teams like Barcelona - that many soccer players look like victims of starvation. Why is that, they don't run more than about 20 kilometers during the 90-minute game. Would not soccer players benefit from being a bit stronger and bigger?

-Geir

Based on his previous posts on the subject, I think he'd tell you that they would benefit from being a lot stronger and bigger, and that the eventual strength training that would be fitting for them is the one in the book.

Lots of weight room strength & bulk is largely redundant for a soccer player. More important is skill, speed & cardio. Strength training can help, but in many situations I think it would be a distraction.

Some squatting may help their sprinting and help prevent injuries, deadlifts may make other players feel light and "bounce off" in collisions. Pressing will improve torso rigidity (ab strength) and might help with overhead throws.

This is largely speculative though. I think with talented players, they will have that magic regardless. But strength training is much more likely to help those who struggle and are not so gifted find some athleticism.

What is the practicality of getting soccer players into a gym though? Perhaps the convenience of on-pitch calisthenics out weighs their limitations?

You should listen to Dastardly. He's a professional soccer player.

These kids practises a lot, they have four organised practises (one which is mine) per week, a game on top of that, and lots of playing in their own free time, and in school)

they train 4 times a week plus 1 game a week? Is this a pro club?

The curious thing is - if you look at teams like Barcelona - that many soccer players look like victims of starvation. Why is that, they don't run more than about 20 kilometers during the 90-minute game. Would not soccer players benefit from being a bit stronger and bigger?

This 20 kilometers is not correct.It is between 8 and 12 or something depending on position.Still a lot of distance i think

I have a son in the same situation - 11 yrs old - very difficult to train except in off-seasons. I would think Rip would say regardless of sport that its vital everyone trains the way the book teaches - I don't agree that soccer players would not benefit from being stronger - seems like that would help a great many players - building basis for getting bigger and faster - skill picks up with repetition and ability to learn

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pear View Post
    I have a son in the same situation - 11 yrs old - very difficult to train except in off-seasons. I would think Rip would say regardless of sport that its vital everyone trains the way the book teaches - I don't agree that soccer players would not benefit from being stronger - seems like that would help a great many players - building basis for getting bigger and faster - skill picks up with repetition and ability to learn
    I played high level competitive soccer as a youth and I play in a men's league now.

Since I started strength training I've noticed three very distinct advantages when it comes to soccer.

1. Don't get winded as easily - this one is just simple. Stronger legs means they get less tired when you sprint around.

2. My shot power and accuracy has risen significantly. I can kick the ball much harder and it feels like I can maintain my accuracy on much harder shots too.

3. Way easier to push people around/not as easy to get pushed around. This is huge if you're fighting for the ball shoulder to shoulder with someone.