starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pete George: The Greatest American Weightlifting Prodigy of All Time

Default Pete George: The Greatest American Weightlifting Prodigy of All Time

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    by Marty Gallagher

Imagine a 15 year-old, 145-pound boy clean and jerking 300 pounds – it would cause quite a sensation in 2012. Now imagine it happened in 1933 and the boy was the youngest person in the world to jerk 300 overhead regardless of bodyweight – keep in mind that at the time the world record in the heavyweight division in the clean and jerk was 401…

Article

Is this article inspirational, or what? Excellent writing by Mr Gallagher!

A great article.

My son James came close with a 140 snatch at 15. He c&j 140 at 14 at 69kgs. I expect my son Willy will do more at 14 and snatch 140 at 15. We had another boy on Maui Layson who c&j 305 at 14, he hurt his shoulder while playing football and is unable to compete any more. I am pretty sure my friend Ian Wilson c&j over 300 at 14 also. Not taking anything away from Pete George he is highly respected in Hawaii.

Aloha'
    Jim Moser

If you trained back then, you lifted barbells and dumbbells because that is all there was; modern trainees would be well advised to purposefully reduce their exercise menu and concentrate on doing fewer lifts better. Drop the triceps kickbacks in favor of some overhead pressing; eschew exercise machines in favor of power cleans and deep squats. Do we really need to perform lateral raises and endless sets on the pec-deck? Let’s use that recovered training time for front squats and deadlifts.
    This is gold. Simplicity vice complexity, work vice fluff.

All I can say is “INSPIRING!” after reading this heartwarming story of true courage. A frail and bullied son of poor immigrants from Bulgaria who happened to be a semi-retarded construction worker who worked very hard to pay for dental school to become a top Orthodontist and medical school professor, who also served his country in the US Army, and who was also a badass x infinity Olympic Weightlifter who won gold and silver and set records. Freakin’ A! If this does not inspire you, then you need to see a doctor to check your pulse. NO EXCUSE!!

Pete George reminds me of Tommy Kono. Thanks for sharing this article, Mr. Gallagher!

I believe there's a typo somewhere (300 in 1933, born in 1929).

That said, this is an inspirational piece for me! As someone who began lifting in his 30s, I love being put to shame by someone half my age. It's all the encouragement I need to keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by Gymmoser View Post
    My son James came close with a 140 snatch at 15. He c&j 140 at 14 at 69kgs. I expect my son Willy will do more at 14 and snatch 140 at 15. We had another boy on Maui Layson who c&j 305 at 14, he hurt his shoulder while playing football and is unable to compete any more. I am pretty sure my friend Ian Wilson c&j over 300 at 14 also. Not taking anything away from Pete George he is highly respected in Hawaii.

Aloha'
    Jim Moser
    Your sons sound like they're extremely strong at a young age. Are they still teenagers now and do they compete?

Default Young weightlifters

Quote Originally Posted by gape View Post
    Your sons sound like they're extremely strong at a young age. Are they still teenagers now and do they compete?
    Yes. Here is our team at the Junior Olympics. My son is 13 here.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...&v=MRNOgGEEWE0

Here is yesterdays snatch session
    http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=fxD1j-89SxU

My oldest son at 17 just missing a 165 snatch, he is presently incarcerated.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=inAvl9X4uqo

starting strength coach development program
    Is anyone else seeing a pattern with these articles about the old-time masters? These guys had a huge tolerance for volume and would beat their bodies up almost daily.

Now, the articles jump right into the prime of their careers and I'm sure they became accustomed to the volume over time, but something keeps telling me I need more volume and more workouts where I come out completely exhausted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast