starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee pain and shoes

Mirat Guest

Default Knee pain and shoes

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've been dealing with patellar tendinitis with quite a few years squatting low bar with weightliftings shoes. I've recently removed the shoes , squatting barefoot , and noticed my knees feel much better (but my back feels a bit taxed).
    I see quite a bit of hate in this forum against squatting barefoot , why would this be a bad idea ?

Lifting Barefoot

Edit - Even better:

Okay SD, we'll clarify for them. After all, you don't know how to use the search function, and my simple answer will suffice. Except that answers are not always simple, and they have been typed here many times before. A belt is necessary at the end of the novice period, but not for a rank beginner. When weights get heavy, put one on. It will allow you to train harder, get your abs stronger, and do so safely. Shoes, on the other hand, are necessary from as early as you can afford them, meaning fix it up so that you can afford them ASAFP. That barefoot is as stable as you can be is just stupid. A connection with the ground over the sole of a WL shoe is a larger surface area than the foot, and it is longer too, so that the whole length of the foot -- toes included -- can be used to distribute the load against the ground and position it more effectively above the mid-foot. Thus decreasing PSI and supporting the arches and metatarsals with the strap during the process. And since we also do cleans, and since even a fool understands that stomping the floor barefooted can really hurt your feet, and that stomping is an artifact of the jump necessary to clean, there you go again.
    Last edited by Cody; 12-18-2015 at 05:46 PM.

Mirat Guest

Okay , but squatting with my weightlifting shoes hurts my knees , and squatting without them doesn't. Should I get some flat shoes ? chucks ?
    Here's a video from 2.5 years ago , squatting with my weightlifting shoes. I haven't made any squat progress ever since , while all my other lifts have gone up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-uVgrCEZRA
    Last edited by Mirat; 12-18-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Think the flat trend around here is asics throw 2 or three. I need a sole and an arch to squat. Barefoot seems rough on the arch. This summer I used to warm up some with Birkenstocks and loved it. But need the arch on the romeleoes
    May try the asics out myself

Yes, wear flats. Hyper Throw 3s by Asics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Yes, wear flats. Hyper Throw 3s by Asics.
    /nod. We all work for Asics, but I am telling you these shoes are the bomb! :-)

I had to stop using Adipowers because they caused knee pain. I have no knee pain with my Reebok Power Shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirat View Post
    I've been dealing with patellar tendinitis with quite a few years squatting low bar with weightliftings shoes. I've recently removed the shoes , squatting barefoot , and noticed my knees feel much better (but my back feels a bit taxed).
    I see quite a bit of hate in this forum against squatting barefoot , why would this be a bad idea ?
    Let's see a video of you squatting in the shoes. The knee pain may be caused by a form issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Let's see a video of you squatting in the shoes. The knee pain may be caused by a form issue.
    It could be a form issue, but I had patellar tendinitis from squatting in heeled shoes too. I also squat more weight in flats. It is the new wave of the future. You should try them... join the Asics cult! :-)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    It could be a form issue, but I had patellar tendinitis from squatting in heeled shoes too. I also squat more weight in flats. It is the new wave of the future. You should try them... join the Asics cult! :-)
    Ha ha, I already have a pair of Sabo Deadlifts if I want to try squatting in flats. Maybe I'll give it a shot some day, just for you. As far as the OP goes, let's see if there's blatant knee slide or something with his shod squats that might be causing the pain, since I think they're better for the majority of people, and the very vast majority of novices (which I may be wrong, but am assuming is his present level of training advancement).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast