starting strength gym

Thread: Novice LP progression question; Elbow pain

Default Novice LP progression question; Elbow pain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello!

My current problem is whether to continue with Novice LP or switch to the Adv. Novice/Intermediate program. I've reset my Squat twice, one being a "big reset" as outlined in the Wiki. I've currently failed my 3rd attempt at Squatting 137. I'm not sure if the two previous resets were really justified and so am debating whether a 3rd reset on the squat and continuing Novice LP is productive or not. I've posted a video of it as a squat check and if I can edit this post later (need a mod to approve the thread before it can be seen) then I'll place the link here, otherwise I'll do so in the next possible post.

I'm 5'7, 29, and about 91-92kg. Started from 68kg mid July and was relatively lean; I have a bit of fat in the stomach now.

Squat: 136kg (attempting 137)
    Deadlift: 150kg (failed 5th rep of 152.5, next workout will be my 2nd attempt)
    Bench Press: 81kg, succeeded on 2nd attempt and have been doing 1kg jumps but I feel like I might need to start doing .5kg jumps
    Press: 57kg (.5kg increases)
    Power Clean: 65.5kg (.5kg increases, I consistently have problems with this)
    Supplements are whey, creatine, fish oil, and a multi-vitamin.
    I'm not using a lifting belt and squat in converse shoes.

I've been tracking my calories for the last 7 days with MyFitnessPal to see how my nutrition stands and my weekly avg is ~3300cals a day split at around 270g carbs, 110g fat, and 211g of protein. Though it might be off a little because it's hard to find something that accurately compares to certain Chinese meals I have and because I may be using an incorrect "steak" modifier. The last two days I haven't eaten as much (which has lowered my average since I've only been doing this a week) because I've been sick and my sleep pattern is off, but I think I typically eat around 3500-4000 a day when everything goes well.

My non exercise issues might be my sleep pattern (12-2 in bed, 10-11 wake up) and I don't eat my leafy vegetables. Broccoli and peas are about the only greens I consistently eat. Also, I'm not sure if it's just the weather but I've had bloody noses almost every day since winter hit and pretty much every time I blow my nose (which is often) there's blood. Always my left nostril.

I reset once at 92.5. I got sick, had horrible elbow pain and a lot of adductor pain. I took a few days off and the adductor pain vanished, elbow was fine for a few weeks, and progressed to 110 without any problems.

At 110 I felt all my lefts failing at once and was having problems even with warmup weights so I did a big reset on the squat and a normal reset on everything else. I was able to increase the weight by 2.5kg for two workouts after 110 to 115, then switched to 1kg. At 123 I was feeling really strong and again did 2kg jumps until 131 then had to switch back to 1kg jumps. Between then and 137 I've failed a rep twice (133 and then 135).

For 137 my first attempt was 4,4,2. Second attempt (sick-cough) was 5,5,4. 3rd attempt I incorrectly loaded the bar at 135 for the first set, and then 137 for the following and did 5,5,4.

My calves have been sore as well. It started when I had to climb 22 stories of stairs because the elevator wasn't working. That happened 2 weeks or so ago and since then they've just been sore all day long and are at their worst after squatting. I'm not sure if this is a contributing factor to why I'm failing my squats or a symptom of my body just being unable to recovery.

Regarding my elbow. I can only do 3 sets of 3 chin ups at the moment. Am I correct in assuming I can do 30 sets of 1 and work up? The link said once every 5 days, so if I start on Monday does that mean the next time I do it is on Friday, or Saturday? Will I be doing chin ups on my recovery days? Will it be more prone to injury since it's already been injured once? And what's your opinion on the compression cuffs such as the ones sold by Slingshot/Mark Bell. Is it a preventative tool or just something to ease the pain?

Also I have a bump on it... it's on the side (inside). Bursitis? It popped up the same time my elbow starting hurting while squatting. I've avoided going to a doctor because the doctors here suck. I don't know if I can swear here but I have almost nothing good to say about my experiences at the hospitals here. Would a picture of it help? I'm not sure what it would be if not bursitis. I will be going back to the states (I'm currently in China) in a few weeks if I'm lucky and might get it checked out there, but what would a doctor usually suggest doing? Could I get an XRay or whatever is needed here and bring it there? I won't have insurance or much money when I head home for a visit....

Can you give me the Cliff's Notes version?

Ah, I didn't think this topic got through. I meant to post it on the programming section and realized my mistake after. I wrote it there yesterday.

5'7" ish, 29, 92kg, training since August.

This current reset at 137 is my 3rd time resetting the squat. You're currently helping me with a squat check. My squat form is better now than before (good morning ish). Do you think I can continue Novice LP or should I switch my routine? I'm fairly confident I'm eating enough. Maybe sleep is a small issue. I feel my previous resets were more technique, nutrition, and pain related.

I was using 2kg jumps, then 1, then failed. Once I get past 137 should I continue using 2kg or 1kg jumps? Is aiming for a 400lb squat before NLP ends a realistic goal?

If you haven't hit a wall before due to it being too heavy, then go for a deload. If you did not get any further this time around, then it may be time to move along to some other variants such as advanced novice, or no longer doing sets across. Once those tap out, it is probably time to go on to full-on intermediate work.