starting strength gym

Thread: CMT – Balance Issues and SS Program Modifications

Default CMT – Balance Issues and SS Program Modifications

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I’m a 52-year-old male with CMT (Charcot-Marie-Tooth). Peripheral atrophy in hands/ankles causes problems with my grip and especially my balance. I would like to follow the Starting Strength Method as much as possible because I believe it is effective, but I’ve reached the point where I cannot safely perform standing lifts (squat/press/clean/snatch) because my balance is so bad. I am already doing seated presses (easy modification), goblet squats (one hand on dumbbell and other holding on to an upright for balance) and deadlifting with some success, but I will soon need more durable modifications for both the squat and deadlift.

I would really appreciate recommendations on the best modifications/substitutes for the squat and deadlift.

I already have a ‘45 degree Leg Press Hack Squat Combo’ so hack squats and leg presses are an easy option. Are either or both movements quality substitutes for the squat? Which is the best and why?

I would consider getting additional equipment if it makes sense from cost and benefit perspective. Would a ‘Leverage Squat Machine’ (like this example https://www.titan.fitness/strength/s...ne/400937.html) be a better substitute for low bar squats?
    A used smith machine (vertical bar path) is relatively inexpensive and may eliminate enough of the balance component to allow me to squat and/or deadlift. Is this a good substitute for squats and/or deadlifts given my limitations, or should I try something else?

There are no machines that substitute for the squat and the deadlift, sorry. The balance component is inherent in the quality of the exercise, and without it the training effect is severely diminished. Have you tried using a coach? Where do you live?