• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Is the primary reason people miss reps:

1. Recovery, or
    2. Technique, or
    3. Not enough rest between sets, or
    4. Pussying out?

I almost got stuck on rep 4. So I stopped there instead of doing rep 5 of 185# on a low bar back squat yesterday on intensity day (TM). 49 year old man, 6'0", 165, bad right knee (chondromalacia after ACL reconstruction 9 years ago from playing basketball). I had been adding 5 pounds each intensity day and 180 was not a problem. I didn't eat or sleep well (traveling for work) in the days before and added an extra rest day.

I will say I did something yesterday I never did before: stretched my hammies after each warmup set. Depth is usually challenging. I did that dynamic stretch that looks like someone goose stepping, 10 reps each leg. I videoed the set and I got good below parallel depth that maybe I wasn't used to.

Recovery, technique or mental toughness covers pretty much all the bases on why a novice on LP could fail.

That being said, you made the 4th rep and didn't go for a 5th, so I think you just need to sack up and force yourself to go for it next time!

You can't miss a rep you don't attempt.

If you're doing the Texas Method then I'm guessing it was only one set of five. So I wouldn't say it was rest between sets.

Technique? Perhaps. No way of knowing without seeing it.

Recovery? Perhaps. Did you do the light day, or ignore it? What does your volume day look like? Are you doing anything else; assistance work, conditioning, etc? If so, when and how?

Some people don't like to stretch before lifting because of a tendency to get too loose. I just do a light stretch for my hip flexors and I'm good to go.

Don't strech before lifting unless there's a specific mobility issue that impedes proper technique. I don't think this is your case, few people are restricted by their hamstring flexibility in order to reach depth. It's more a question of confidence and proper technique.