starting strength gym

Thread: New to the program

Default New to the program

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been working out on and off for about a year now with little commitment. I came across ss a year ago and have been continuously reading the book. Recently I've developed greater morale in terms of regular attendance at the gym and I've been following SS. The concern I have is that my squat depth and form is a little off. How does one focus on the hip drive that Rippetoe mentions? Moreover I don't really feel sore after a workout (is this a good sign). Additionally I've found that my squatting weight is quite similar to the weight i bench press. Is this normal? For clarification my numbers are as follows:

My weight: 142.7 Ibs
    Squatting: 125 Ibs
    Bench press: 115Ibs
    Deadlift: 215Ibs
    Military Press: 80 Ibs
    Power clean: 100 Ibs

finally, I understand that Rippetoe recommends an increase of 10-15 Ibs for the squat per workout for an individual who is between 150 and 200 Ibs. Isn't this excessively high? Moreover what would be recommended for someone with my weight?

My apologies for the seemingly simple questions, I just want to make sure I am well informed.

Thanks in Advance!
    Last edited by WorkoutConnoisseur; 03-15-2012 at 07:29 AM.

What book have you been continuously reading for the past year?
    also how tall are you ? and how old ?

Also it's "lbs" ... though until just now i don't think i ever wondered why. The web says:

" If I’m to be strictly accurate in my reply (which you may construe as being pedantic if you wish, but there’s a serious point here) lbs isn’t an abbreviation of “pounds”. It’s shorthand for “pounds weight” but isn’t an abbreviation of the word pounds.
    The form lb is actually an abbreviation of the Latin word libra, which could mean a pound, itself a shortened form of the full expression, libra pondo, “pound weight”. The second word of this phrase, by the way, is the origin of the English pound. " (from: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pou1.htm)

interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutConnoisseur View Post
    finally, I understand the Rippetoe recommends an increase of 10-15 Ibs for the squat per workout for an individual who is between 150 and 200 Ibs. Isn't this excessively high? Moreover what would be recommended for someone with my weight?
    Sure you're reading the right book? Where does he recommend that?

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    Sure you're reading the right book? Where does he recommend that?
    here: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program
    It's also in his book (the older version I believe) "For most male trainees, the squat can be increased 10 pounds per workout assuming 3 workouts per week for 3-4 weeks."

Let's cut to the chase here. We don't think you own the book. You should get the book and read it, as these questions are all answered in the book. Not the wiki, the book. Not the t-nation article, the book.

Get Practical Programming while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutConnoisseur View Post
    here: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program
    It's also in his book (the older version I believe) "For most male trainees, the squat can be increased 10 pounds per workout assuming 3 workouts per week for 3-4 weeks."
    So it doesn't say that at all.

Saying that the squat can be increased 10 pounds per workout for 3-4 weeks is not the same as "Rippetoe recommends an increase of 10-15 Ibs for the squat per workout for an individual who is between 150 and 200 Ibs."

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    So it doesn't say that at all.

Saying that the squat can be increased 10 pounds per workout for 3-4 weeks is not the same as "Rippetoe recommends an increase of 10-15 Ibs for the squat per workout for an individual who is between 150 and 200 Ibs."
    That's the point though. I'm quite confused. Additionally, the issue though is I am unable to increase my squatting weight by 10 pounds per workout. It's too strenuous. Moreover the recommendations for weight increase apply to an individual averaging from 150-200 pounds. I don't meet this range, so how much weight should I be adding per workout for each exercise?

I don't believe that the book says anything about the weight of the individual. I really think you should get the book and stop reading the wiki.

Not only was a new edition release recently, Mark is extremely meticulous and precise when he writes his instructions. The way they are written in the book will not be the same they are written in the wiki, which is the source of your confusion.

You should only be adding 10lb to the bar early in the program when you can do it. If you can't add 10lb to the bar then just go with the normal 5lb that you are supposed to increase each time.

If you are unable to do the 5lb increases then there is an issue with your form or recovery.

starting strength coach development program
    OP, the resistance here is because you're asking questions that have been discussed a lot on this board. If you spent a little time reading the training,programming and technique forums you'd see it. You'd also probably see things that help you to get a good sense of what the program is about and things you haven't yet thought about.

Anyway, as Corrie said, when you can't advance by 10, you advance by 5 lbs a workout. If your form isn't good, fix it. check out the technique forum and you should get an idea of what's important and what isn't. Post a video if you're not sure.