starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DL worksets/grip

Default DL worksets/grip

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    So I finally hit my 225lbs 3x5 deadlift on friday (did 230 today). Lately and especially today I have struggled with maintaining a double overhand grip throughout all of my worksets. It usually morphs into a hook grip near the later reps, and today i had to regrip the bar in between reps for fear i might drop it. Now i have read a few posts on here talking about only doing one workset of the deadlift. At what point should i switch to doing this? and regardless of when and if I go down to one workset, what would be the best way to incorporate grip strengthening to my program without wearing out my grip for the DL or hurting my recovery? Should I just switch to an over under grip? that kind of seems weak since i would like to get closer to 300lbs before I give up on DOH.

Thanks for any and all advice.

you should get the book

I have SS. Which book are you referring too? I have not found conclusive answers to these questions in the book that I have...

it's always one set, never three.

you switch to the grip you need to complete the set. if your doh starts giving out, use hook or mixed. you gonna reset until your doh grip matches your back strength?

Agreed, Rippetoe never advocates more than one work set except when one set doesn't provide enough volume for advanced lifters. This obviously does not apply to somebody who is deadlifting 225.

GOMAD, your desire to keep DOH until an arbitrary number is silly. If you can't pick that shit up with two hands any more, flip a hand around or use a monster hook grip. For the sake of not missing any time, just flip that hand around. It will be magical.

Also, unless you're training to be a powerlifter, Rippetoe doesn't think that using straps judiciously on your work sets once you're really lifting heavy is ultimately detrimental. You will still get very good grip work at your warm ups. Just don't be doing this shit at 225 or somebody is going to laugh at you.

Quote Originally Posted by GOMADorGOHOME View Post
    I have SS. Which book are you referring too? I have not found conclusive answers to these questions in the book that I have...
    Where in SS did you read that you should deadlift for 3 x 5?

I guess I misread the tables at the end for programming. I am not planning on resetting for my grip strength. I dont have nearly as much of a problem DOHing my first set as I do on the subsequent ones. Since I am cutting down to a single workset I should be able to keep using DOH for several more workouts. As for wanting to be able to DOH overhand up to an arbrirary amount being silly, My goal is not to reach a specific goal with DOH. I just want to prolong having to switch to a different grip as long as possible so I dont run into major grip problems down the road when I am in the 300s. Anyway, Thanks all for the advice! I have a pretty solid base to go off of for the future.

You've been doing 3x5 deadlift the whole time? Sheesh.

One heavy set with DOH is all you need. The "average" lifter around here takes DOH (with chalk) in to the low 300s.

I do as many reps as I can at DOH and when the grip starts to fail I switch to the hook grip (thanks to chode for the recommendation). I have no idea what sort of impact that has on grip strength, I just know it allows me to continue pulling. Have you considered that?
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 03-22-2012 at 01:02 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Yea that is basically what I am going to do Mr_Rogers. Hopefully I wont have to incorporate the Hook grip for a few more workouts but we shall see...

I havent been using chalk, the only places I know to buy it are online, plus I doubt I am allowed to use it at my gym... I have never seen anyone there use chalk before. How necessary is chalk?
    Last edited by GOMADorGOHOME; 03-22-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: p.s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast