starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift (New PR of 405lbs!)

Default Deadlift (New PR of 405lbs!)

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Deadlifts today. I already know I screwed up by not looking down consistently. But I think I'm getting better at consciously touching my shins to the bar before pulling (at least on the later single reps). I also don't feel like I'm doing stiff-legged deadlifts as much as I used to. Anyway, I know deadlifts are my weakest exercise right now (form-wise) so I thought I'd post and take my medicine. Thanks for your help.

http://youtu.be/ld_noWvrIow
    Last edited by DJ2JD; 06-13-2013 at 09:36 PM.

I don't see you doing anything that could be confused with stiff leg, until you got to your 405 set. A couple things that stood out to me:
    1) I really don't see you setting your back at all. This is especially noticeable on the sets filmed from the rear.
    2) you may want to try turning out your toes and shoving your knees out. That will get your butt a little lower which will make it a little easier to set your back. also your knees were kinda caving in a little, shoving them out may help with that.

Other than that congrats on the PR! And without a belt! Have you tried DL with a belt?
    Last edited by Brian Harlin; 06-13-2013 at 10:08 PM.

I think he has a belt on? Just before the video ends it looks like he's about to take it off.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. Yea, I threw on a lever belt for my 405lb set. I wasn't sure if I needed it as 375 felt fine but I figured 405 was a good number to have it on with. I've read that it's good to have the belt on for new PR attempts. Thoughts?

Great tip on the toes out and knees out - I think that will help me out quite a bit actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Molyneux1234 View Post
    I think he has a belt on? Just before the video ends it looks like he's about to take it off.
    Good catch, I missed that.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ2JD View Post
    Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. Yea, I threw on a lever belt for my 405lb set. I wasn't sure if I needed it as 375 felt fine but I figured 405 was a good number to have it on with. I've read that it's good to have the belt on for new PR attempts. Thoughts?

Great tip on the toes out and knees out - I think that will help me out quite a bit actually.
    You could try putting the belt on for your last warm up so that the movement does not feel completely foreign on your work set. This might explain why the form was so different on your 405 set.