starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean Form Check

Default Power Clean Form Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey,

I'm new to power cleans and have incorporated them into my routine.
    The weight is 100lbs (~45kg) and it is my 4th of 5 sets of 3.

Normal version:

Slowmo version:

I would appreciate if you can tell me what should be corrected.
    You can click pause and go frame by frame with the direction keys if you want.

Thanks in advantage for taking the time to watch it and help me
    Emjay

Get those knees back once you start the pull. That way you will be able to go straight or even have the bar coming back in towards you a bit. You're coming onto your toes a little bit early because the bar is forward but getting the knees out of the way of the bar should fix this and allow you to stay on your heels.

Quote Originally Posted by PFerrari View Post
    Get those knees back once you start the pull. That way you will be able to go straight or even have the bar coming back in towards you a bit. You're coming onto your toes a little bit early because the bar is forward but getting the knees out of the way of the bar should fix this and allow you to stay on your heels.
    Ok. Is it a good idea to try it with regular height plates? That would be 50kgs --> 110lbs.
    Because I'm 6'2" (+ long legged) and those are small plates.
    With them it is barely possible to get my kness out of the way as their position is determined by my leverages.

Anything else that really needs a fix until I do them again?

You don't want to bounce the bar off the jumping position. It's getting too far away from your body and that won't be sustainable at higher weights.

You'll eventually want to get your elbows through to the rack position more explosively.

Resist the urge to pull the bar with your arms after jumping as the weight gets heavier. Make the jump more explosive as you go. Good start!

Quote Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
    Ok. Is it a good idea to try it with regular height plates? That would be 50kgs --> 110lbs.
    Because I'm 6'2" (+ long legged) and those are small plates.
    With them it is barely possible to get my kness out of the way as their position is determined by my leverages.

Anything else that really needs a fix until I do them again?
    Regular height plates is advisable. It looks like you've got enough strength to add some more weight anyways. Getting the knees out of the way is essential so it's important you figure out how to do it quickly before you develop bad habits. Widening your stance a tad may help with this. I'd imagine adding mass may also help this in terms of leverages etc since you look at most weightlifters who are 6'2" they will be in the 105+ category.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutNick View Post
    Resist the urge to pull the bar with your arms after jumping as the weight gets heavier. Make the jump more explosive as you go. Good start!
    I'm really confused by this suggestion over all. After you complete the jump it is essential to pull with the arms. You must actively pull yourself under the bar after you complete triple extension. Pulling with the arms after the jump also is used to help keep the bar close.

Couldn't make a video today because I was in a hurry.
    Had a trainer check it thoug and he said we eliminated the "kick" out of the legs and now have a better barpath.
    Worked up to 55kgs under his guidance.
    Still felt light, but I need to work on technique.

Hey,

managed to take another video of Power Cleans.

Did 3x60 (132lbs)

and 3x70 (154lbs)

I hope I fixed the knees back problem with standard plates.
    I'm not sure with the other problems you mentioned. Hopefully I did better.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
    Hey,

managed to take another video of Power Cleans.

Did 3x60 (132lbs)

and 3x70 (154lbs)

I hope I fixed the knees back problem with standard plates.
    I'm not sure with the other problems you mentioned. Hopefully I did better.
    Definitely better. It's a process though so don't expect it all to be fixed in one work out.

I still think you could work on getting your knees back more. If you freeze frame right when the bar is at your knee you'll notice your shin is not vertical. It should be vertical at that point in order to set yourself up for the 2nd pull.