starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method

Default Texas Method

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Andy,

I'm running a slightly modified TM. Due to my own priorities, I'm happy with my squat and BP strength. I thus have dropped their volume down to 3x5 on both and continue to hit my a cycling 1,3, or 5 RM on ID for both. The maintenance plan seems to be working fine.

I am still trying to move my DL and Press up. The 5x5 volume day seems to be working with plain vanilla TM programming. However, the DL isn't coming up much.

Question: what course correction do you make to DL programming first after a failure?

Seems like running out sets of 3 is a good first step, but there are often assistances exercises added. Any suggestions? My failure is fairly well distribute but mostly below the knee.

Squat Max: 350x5
    DL Max: 350x5 (faileded at rep 4)

Try to keep pushing your squat up. Start cycling in some heavier deadlifts into your training. Some doubles, triples, singles and fives.

If you wanna lift 405 for 5 then the first step is lifting it for one.

Thanks coach. I will cycle in some different rep schemes.

From prior experiences with 531, high volume deadlift back off sets (5x10) seemed to help out quite a bit. I seem to remember you have recommended SL DLs as back off work. Is that right? Any thoughts on good starting places for back off DL sets?

If you are gonna do 5x10 SLDL after your main deadlift sets you'll just have to trial and error the offset. If I were gonna use that amount of volume, i wouldn't use sets across. You'll have to use a weight that is pretty damn low. I'd use descending sets to get a higher aggregate intensity. So something like this:

Deadlift 455 x 5
    Stiff Leg Deadlift 315 x 10, 275 x 10, 225 x 10 x 3 sets

Nice thought. Thanks!