starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Breaker safe for old folks?

Default Shoulder Breaker safe for old folks?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    https://youtu.be/MwTmrX6oIw8?t=467

Trying to improve my flexibility to get the bar lower in my squats. Was wondering if there is a general consensus on doing shoulder breakers.
    I can sort of do the movement if my hands are super extended out but my grip shifts and I might not be doing them perfect. Seems like working at these should help me get the bar lower.

Yes, no, do something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Strega View Post
    https://youtu.be/MwTmrX6oIw8?t=467

Trying to improve my flexibility to get the bar lower in my squats. Was wondering if there is a general consensus on doing shoulder breakers.
    I can sort of do the movement if my hands are super extended out but my grip shifts and I might not be doing them perfect. Seems like working at these should help me get the bar lower.

Yes, no, do something else?
    Just walked over and got my broomstick and did 10 of them. I'm 60 and it didn't harm me one bit. Now, when I go to the gym in an hour, I'll have to find out if it helps me to get the bar in the proper position more easily than usual.

#1:
    yes, I do this at times. Anything to loosen / prepare the shoulders would be good. Maybe even some presses (and press variants: BTN, etc) with just the bar, and some 'bar work' trying to get into the LBBS proper position, but maybe exaggerating the position to a even lowER spot on the shoulder/back (just with the bar only). MY 2 cents

B U T : I did alot of Oly lifts and snatches, so I thought I had 'good' shoulder mobility (catching snatches low/overhead squats/ alot of shoulder dislocations w/ the PVC pipe) . . .but when I converted to lowbar squats, I had particular problems achieving the proper LBBS bar positioning . . .even now its still probably sub-par, grip is wide, etc. So I don't for sure if this is a true fix (shoulder breakers aka: dislocations)

#2: . . .on to tear into Scott Herman's view of LB vs HB . . .should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    Just walked over and got my broomstick and did 10 of them. I'm 60 and it didn't harm me one bit. Now, when I go to the gym in an hour, I'll have to find out if it helps me to get the bar in the proper position more easily than usual.
    Awesome I wish I had that kind of flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Strega View Post
    Awesome I wish I had that kind of flexibility.
    it depends how wide you put your hands.
    Start real wide Strega.
    You can keep track how wide your grip is by looking at how high the bar is in relation to your junk when the pipe at your hip.
    Do 10 real wide; move grip in an inch ea. side; do another 10; move grip in, etc

I think its funny in the video, Scott does one with a wide grip then move his hands way in like he's gonna do another, then puts the pipe down nonchalantly while talking.

I bought a cheap broom for the stick a few years ago and threw away the broom part. I don't do these regularly enough to see if they would make a difference although right now my right shoulder is sore from some improper form on my bench. The 10 reps I did a few minutes ago seemed to make it feel a lot better so I may try to do these more regularly.

I have shoulder issues and so really can't get into a proper low bar squat. I'm using Hooker Handles for the time being as at least with those my right shoulder isn't screaming in pain and I can squat.

But with this I'll start trying these and see if it helps with my mobility. Thanks for posting this!

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    it depends how wide you put your hands.
    Start real wide Strega.

I can do it if I’m super wide but I feel like my grip slips around and I might not be doing them right. I’ll have to video tape it and see if I’m doing something weird or not. I need to work on flexibility across the board.

I have found that just working with the bar position itself serves as an adequate enough stretch to achieve correct bar position in most people. Are you able to place the bar under the spine of your scapula while gripping the bar correctly with a wide grip? If not, hold the bar at the lowest tolerable point on your shoulders and hold as a stretch. It also can help to have a coach/buddy to assist you into the correct bar position and check that you are indeed gripping the bar correctly and have the correct bar placement. Can you show us a picture of what your bar position looks like now?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Krieg View Post
    Can you show us a picture of what your bar position looks like now?
    Caleb,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUCKp3AAVPI
    Here I'm taking a video "test" to see what my perception is going low versus high.
    Two reps with a lower bar, two reps with a higher bar. One variable tossed in is I changed the grip on the HB and was not thrilled with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLehK8YWogM
    This set is from my workout the same day.
    I felt horrible, depth was horrible, everything was "off" but my "bar depth" should be fairly representative of what goes on.
    As you see I squeeze myself under the bar in several steps.

Flexibility is a general issue, I can't bend down and grab the bar on deadlifts unless i bend my knees a bit. I just don't have the reach. Possibly some is belly fat issue but some of it is clear flexibility and I'm working on both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast