starting strength gym

Thread: Upper triceps injury while pressing

Default Upper triceps injury while pressing

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    First time posting on this forum. I did a search but couldn't find any relatable topics concerning and upper tricep injury.
    Have been "working" on the starting strength program for over a year now. I say working on the program because I've had many scenarios that have slowed things down or have paused it at some point. I've had to relocate, personal issues and injuries. I'm a single father raising a boy on my own so things can get pretty busy.

So a few days ago, while starting my first rep of my first working set for my press, I felt a sudden jolt like pain in my upper right tricep. The pain started immediately upon starting the Press I would say there was two inches of bar movement than the pain happened and I immediately racked the bar. The pain is where the tricep meets the rear shoulder area. I'm assuming it's the tricep tendon that meets the shoulder area. It was a solid enough pain where I decided not to press that day. I messed around to see if it would hurt with the empty bar and it sure did. Changing gears in a manual car was actually pretty difficult as well as taking off my t-shirt. This happened Friday. On my Monday workout I decided to bench very very light for High Reps since I'm unsure of what kind of injury a might have. Also that same day I tried pressing the bar and couldn't do it without any pain. I made an appointment with a sports medicine doctor tomorrow (Thursday).
    In addition to what the doctor might tell me tomorrow I also wanted to get a coach's thoughts on what it might be and how I can adjust my programming for my pressing movements. I'll be sure to post an update on what the dr. Has to say.
    Thank you
    Ricky
    Age 35
    Weight 161
    For 3 sets of 5
    Squat 234
    Bench press 175
    Deadlift 290
    Press 118

Probably a minor muscle pull or strain, provided there is not a lot of bruising. A Starr-esque recovery protocol would be helpful. I predict that in a few days to a week you will be able to press something light without a lot of trouble and build back up from there. In several weeks to two months, you will be good as new.