starting strength gym

Thread: Help with Hip excruciating hip pain

Default Help with Hip excruciating hip pain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm 5' 10'' 200lbs. Been having a good progress on SS. 3 days ago I did a 3x5x315 Squat, 3x5x160 Press. While pressing I focused a lot on flexing my knees and using my hip only to initiate the press. Also I seem to have the timing down and it's helping a lot. I was fine without any hip pain for 2 days after this.

Yesterday morning while changing my clothes I pulled my knee up and felt a weird in my hip flexor. The pain was very dull but didn't go away. The pain gradually got worse. At this point there is a constant excruciating sharp pain in both of my hips . The pain radiates from the attachment point to leg all the way to my lower spine. I cannot sit up or sit down without supporting most of my weight with my hands.

I started the 4x800mg a day ibuprofen last night. No improvement yet but hoping it is still to early . Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like a back (spinal) problem, thr result of you forgetting the part about HOLDING YOUR LUMBAR SPINE IN CONTROL. My advice is to always see a good chiropractor first. But tonight you should put some traction on it by hanging in the rack as we've described before.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sounds like a back (spinal) problem, thr result of you forgetting the part about HOLDING YOUR LUMBAR SPINE IN CONTROL. My advice is to always see a good chiropractor first. But tonight you should put some traction on it by hanging in the rack as we've described before.
    My back is fine though. 90% of the pain is in the front of my hip. There is some pain in the inner lower spine area which feels very different from a lower back pain. And I think that's because the hip flexors connect to the lower spine.

I just tried hanging from the rack and the sharp pain in my front hip becomes unbearable. I'm thinking of skipping an orthoped and going straight to a chiropractor.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    My back is fine though. 90% of the pain is in the front of my hip. There is some pain in the inner lower spine area which feels very different from a lower back pain. And I think that's because the hip flexors connect to the lower spine.

I just tried hanging from the rack and the sharp pain in my front hip becomes unbearable. I'm thinking of skipping an orthoped and going straight to a chiropractor.
    So, your back is not fine. See what the chiropractor says, besides the obligatory "This will take about 30 visits."

Rip,you sometimes recommend to take chiropractic.
    I have a question.what do you think about to take chiropractic for twisted pelvic?
    nowadays i hesitate to take this.cause it is pretty expensive and i noticed many people who nothing work with therapy.
    is twisted pelvic can be fixed with good chiropractor?

Depends on the injury. But if pelvis is twisted, which is better to see, doctor or chiropractor? Easy choice, eh?

starting strength coach development program
    So I went to a chiropractor yesterday. First he took some X-rays to verify spinal alignment and distance between the vertebrae. He said every thing looks fine.
    Due to the extreme sharp pain I'm having he couldn't do much more. He used this activator tool, massager and some warm compress to see if he can alleviate the pain and continue with the rest of his work but with no result. He said the extreme sharp pain I am having is most likely due to nerves getting pinched by the inflamed muscle. He suggested using a prescription muscle relaxant instead of Ibuprofen. But of course he can't prescribe it and I would have to go to an Orthopedist for that. He said I can come back if I want when the pain subsides.

I've still been taking the 3200mg of Ibuprofen since 4 days ago and icing it about 4 times a day but no improvement at all. Do you think I should switch to a muscle relaxant or continue with Ibuprofen for a whole week? At the moment the pain is excruciating at both the spinal and leg end point of the hip flexors. It takes me almost a minute to get up from a laying down position. I am still very baffled at how this injury happened. As I mentioned above, for 2 days after my last day of training I felt completely fine and 100 % pain free. After 2 days when I go to put my pants on (bending down and pulling one knee up), it all happened.