starting strength gym

Thread: Max-Stimulation

Default Max-Stimulation

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi,
    I've started to train PL (few months ago), before my goal was gaining mass (training: MST - http://hypertrophy-research.com/maxstim/page3.html it works very good for mass gains).
    Actually I need strenght gains, but rather I don't want to leave Max-Stim (cause still important thing for me are mass gains). Is any good way for me?
    Maybe 5x5 with M-times like MST?

I'm 20 years old,
    86kg,
    178cm
    I've trained since 3 years.

best regards

I don't know anything about the MST program. Sorry.

here it is: http://hypertrophy-research.com/maxstim/page3.html

Max Stimulation = MST

in few words about MST:
    "M-Time. The Max Factor
    M-Time is the time between each rep, after each rep the weight should be racked or set down and gotten completely out of your hands for the duration of the M-Time. This time can be manipulated as advancing fatigue ensues, IE first few reps use 3-5 seconds, next 5 to 10 - use 7 seconds, during the last 5 use 10 seconds. The starting time is usually going to be dictated by your own recovery from repetitive contractions and the intensity you are using. "

you are training 4 times/week, each bodypart 4 times per week. one set with 20 reps, you're adding weight weekly

best regards

Enough food and Rippetoe's program will give you plenty of strength and muscle. Give it a shot.

MST looks like rest pause to me, but every rep? Which looks like something based on the creativity of the author, and not much else.

Anyway, if it's so good, why are you only 190 pounds at 5'10"? Drop it, and implement a more basic routine with linear programming. Go from there.

I'm sorry that I wasn't really clear. I am not interested in the MST program.

Tomo,
    You need to be going from point A to point B. Point A being where you are at now: small, weak, inexperienced; Point B being, bigger, stronger, and more experienced. The shortest distance is in a straight line, not trying to be insulting just trying to point something out to you while you are still young enough to get on the right course and have optimal success.....this program would be used for a very very elite level bodybuilder and that is it. Even then, it would not be his core training program...maybe just a very brief snap shot over the course of the year...I don't even know about that though....this seems like a case of a guy reading one "scientific study" and then trying to build a program based on it.....if it was really effective more people on this board would have at least heard of it.....get on SS, put your brain on autopilot and let Mark do the thinking for you for a few months....learn the lifts, get strong, get big, then make small incremental changes to SS as you advance through your training years. Don't become one of these guys that just leaps from program to program....your training EVOLVES over time okay, it doesn't turn into different species every 6 weeks.

Thanks for replies.

Could you write more about SS? If you think it's better (or the best ) for me, I'll want do that program.
    Yes, I think to put my brain on autopilot is the best way for me, could you help me?

btw In April I'm going to start in competitions (for getting experience, not good place) and I'd like to have good strength with that system (as good as possible).

best regards

I already wrote the book. Why don't you just buy it? It will be cheaper than your first entry fee to that competition you're in.

starting strength coach development program
    Tomo,
    Mark is right, just buy starting strength and do the program until it will absolutely no longer yield results for you. After that I would suggest getting practical programming and going with one of the intermediate programs....Mark has done a much better job than I can in detailing the explanations of all the core lifts. Learn how to squat, deadlift, clean, bench, and press and you will know more than 90% of most personal trainers out there. Once you learn those lifts (and a few assistance lifts) then everything else is just about continously driving up the poundage on those SAME lifts...which is where programming comes in....as you get older/stronger/more advanced it becomes harder to consistently add weight to the bar, therefore training will evolve over time. Strength is not about "shocking the body" or any other gay term you will find in FLEX, it is about doing what is necessary to drive up poundages on core lifts. As you progress you will not be able to just stay on SS forever and continously get stronger day to day.....you will eventually get to where you can only add weight once per week.....once per month....and on and on. Read PP after SS to get a good concept of fitness/fatigue theory, and you will have a better foundational understanding of why more complex programming is necessary as training advances....don't worry about that now....go buy SS, do the program, drink your milk, and have fun growing.