starting strength gym

Thread: Day 1 of Starting Strength

Default Day 1 of Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark,

I just finished reading your book, it's GREAT. I absolutely loved your level of detail in the descriptions of all the lifts.

I'm ready for day 1 of SS, and was unclear if I should just do workout 1 day 1, or do all five lifts with light weights as you describe in the book for getting familiar with the lift. In which case I suppose I would do workout 1 in two days.

Thanks for any clarification you can give me.

Also, I was wondering why the example workout log that you pictured in the book has the trainee doing assistance exercises right off the bat, where in the book it talks about adding them months down the road, when gains start to slow down or halt?

Thanks again.

Just do workout 1 Day 1. And the workout log you cite uses the program on thge opposite page, where back ext. and chins are used from day 2. In this particular workout, I do not use them as assistance exercises.

So, how does one decide that back ext. and chins are needed as part of the normal workout?

The typical novice workout, that I should start with is:

Workout 1: Squat, Bench, Deadlift
    Workout 2: Squat, Press, Power Clean

Correct?

Thanks again.

It depends on which version of the novice workout you're looking at. The one on page 300 is a version I often use. I also use the one you've noted above. And sometimes I'll just use the squat, press, and deadlift for 6 straight workouts before I add anything else. I all -- as they say -- depends.

well...I guess I'm confused at what I should do now.

What would be a good reason not to do the novice program you most often use?

If I'm just a normal guy, lookin' to gain as much muscle mass as possible, would you just start me on the "normal" novice program (on page 300)?

Thanks

starting strength coach development program
    Just do the one that looks best to you. One of the joys of being a novice is that all of them will work pretty well.