starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modified SS with double knee injury?

Default Modified SS with double knee injury?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quoting my post from the recovery section:

Doc rescheduled to today. Push/pull type tests and Xrays confirm inflammation of the patellar tendon. 600mg of ibuprofen 3x a day, two weeks off it, then 25%, 50%, 75% on consecutive weeks.

Not sure how I feel about that.

I think I'll give it two weeks, then go 25%/50%/75% on consecutive workouts, not weeks.

How huge of a strength loss am I looking at here? Would it be stupid to go to the gym and just do bench/press and leave?
    I figure that there has to be a decent upper body regime that I can do for a few weeks. I have no experience with barbell rows, but maybe those would be ok to include? I'd like to do something for my traps especially, but rack pulls still require some power driven down through the legs, so I think those are out.

Something like:

Workout A: Barbell rows, press, ???, chins

Workout B: Barbell rows, bench, ???, weighted dips

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You could try the WSB "30 pounds in 30 days" bench program and just leave out the lower body stuff (one exercise per day). This was recommended to me by Marotta, though he's never tried it.

Looked at that earlier today. At 205lb 3x5 my bench is a little bit ahead of where my other lifts are, so I don't want to add 30lb. I'd be not far from my squat weight O_o.

Went to the gym and did barbell rows 175x3x5. Never done those before. Thankfully my knee was fine. After that, press at 132.5lb and weighted dips.

Can anyone think of anything that could strengthen my lower back but not involve bending my knee very much? Would RDLs do that?

good mornings? back extensions? reverse hypers?

Ah. Good mornings look like they'll do the job, thanks. Seems like a pretty easy movement.

Tomc nailed the diag. Before you went in. Inflammation requirea the RICE treatment. I wouldn't be so concerned with strength loss as Every athlete gets injured and they all take time to recover. Think about some light wraps too.

I'm curious as to how an x-ray confirmed inflammation in a tendon.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    I'm curious as to how an x-ray confirmed inflammation in a tendon.
    X ray picks up soft tissue, as well, you know. The patellar tendon is fairly predictably located, and it can be seen between the kneecap and tibia. In my case, he noted that the tendon was a bit larger in certain spots, which went along with the story I told him to suggest a minor injury resulting in inflammation.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    X ray picks up soft tissue, as well, you know. The patellar tendon is fairly predictably located, and it can be seen between the kneecap and tibia. In my case, he noted that the tendon was a bit larger in certain spots, which went along with the story I told him to suggest a minor injury resulting in inflammation.
    Both times I've been in, they simply used the x-ray to confirm it wasn't an issue with bone...and the last time I was in was for patellar tendinitis...and it wasn't the x-ray that showed it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    Both times I've been in, they simply used the x-ray to confirm it wasn't an issue with bone...and the last time I was in was for patellar tendinitis...and it wasn't the x-ray that showed it.
    Well I'm not a doctor. I was surprised by it too, but I could see it clearly. Why don't you give Manhattan Orthopedic & Sports Medicine a call? 212-427-1705.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast