starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello and thanks for taking a minute to have a look at my squat. I'm sure there are a bunch of issues with it - hip drive I'm sure, as it doesn't look like I'm leading with my hips out of the bottom when I watch video of myself, even though it feels like it during the set (especially during harder reps). I'm somewhat tall (6'2") and it's hard for me not to feel "folded up" when I squat.

Lately I've been making more of an effort to do a true low-bar SS squat, complete with a more horizontal torso angle, but I can't quite tell if I'm going low enough either. Here is today's first work set, at 195:

Sorry if the angle makes things difficult.

BEST

INVISIBLE

SQUATS

EVER

For your efforts:

Here are some more of my favorite invisible things:

Weird, video not showing up? I don't see it on mobile either but it showed up on my laptop. Here's a direct link, hopefully it works: 195x5 on Vimeo

1) Get your knees forward and set earlier in the rep
    2) HIP DRIVE HIP DRIVE HIP DRIVE - you are leading out of the hole with your chest.
    3) Get rid of the mirror or MAKE YOURSELF STOP LOOKING AT IT. It's making you pick up your head, which is causing issues with #2

Thanks, Steve. To clarify #1, you don't mean that my knees should travel farther forward, right? Just that they should get to their final position sooner?

I will break the mirror habit. I think I'm not trusting myself to hit depth from feel yet so I had to look.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mr55 View Post
    Thanks, Steve. To clarify #1, you don't mean that my knees should travel farther forward, right? Just that they should get to their final position sooner?

Correct. The second one.