starting strength gym

Thread: Low Testosterone

Default Low Testosterone

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Ripp,

I am a 26 year old male with low, and I mean LOW (240) testosterone. I have just found this out recently and have only become concerned by it simply because I was told it was low. I follow the Starting Strength method, and I still make pretty decent and regular linear gains, however I am on the weaker side still, currently 350 squat, 450 dead, 260 bench, 160 press. 6'3, 220 pounds.

My question is how important is my low testosterone to my health/performance/strength? Am I making these gains simply because I am still a young buck and my youth is making up for it, or is there an inevitable doom that I am about to see in the future? Also, have you had any clients that follow their testosterone levels and seen an increase in their testosterone with an increase in their strength?

Thanks

Aaron

P.S.... My dick works pretty good still too....

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronf90 View Post
    350 squat, 450 dead, 260 bench, 160 press. 6'3, 220 pounds.

how important is my low testosterone to my health/performance/strength?

dick works
    Doesn't seem to be a problem. What more can you want than those lifts on LP and a functioning dick? Don't answer that, btw; we'd be here a while.

There's lifestyle modifications that can increase test. How's your sleep? Do you drink? Do some research and try making some changes. Under-recovery is a great way to temporarily slam your testosterone, for example.

Also, make sure you do your blood work for hormone tests in the morning (like 8:30am). Especially with younger men, your testosterone decreases a lot throughout the day. A ensure you are rested before testing; don't do blood work the day after intense squat/deadlift day. Your testosterone might not be as low as you think. Given those lifts, I'm going to guess this is the case.

I'm not a doctor...and I'm no Rip, so...ignore this is you want.

Sadly there is an inevitable doom for us all in our training, but that's be side the point. I know a lot of guys with low test, one of which is a pro bodybuilder so you can achieve a lot with lost test. Have you been to see an endocrinologist yet? Also if you're still making gains then you're cherry.

Meal timing is also important relative to the blood draw. If you get your blood drawn soon after a large meal, your level will be lower than, say, in the morning in a fasted state. The difference can be a couple hundred points (personal experience). If you don't have symptoms, I wouldn't worry too much. However, if you have low energy/motivation/libido, you may want to explore some ways of improving that number naturally if at all possible. Once you start on exogenous T, it is very difficult to go back. It also shuts down your ability to procreate.