Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My gym is getting new equipment

Default My gym is getting new equipment

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Bad news: My gym is getting rid of their one squat rack:Attachment 5438

Awesome news: It's being replaced with two of these: Attachment 5439

They are also getting bumper plates. I'm not sure why, because no one there does cleans, jerks or snatches and there are no platforms. I suppose it will make deadlifts a bit quieter for the small minority of us who do them. My only worry with the new racks is that they will attract the bench bros who will now finally be able to do inclines easily (gym only had a decline and flat set ups).

-RJP

Will certainly make it easier for anyone starting out with deadlifts (or BB rows) who can't pull at least 135 off the floor (since the lighter plates still have the full size diameter).

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    Will certainly make it easier for anyone starting out with deadlifts (or BB rows) who can't pull at least 135 off the floor (since the lighter plates still have the full size diameter).
    That's a very good point that I hadn't considered. I guess now I won't have to play around with getting the height right for my wife's deadlifts, as she has not quite reached the 135 point yet.

-RJP

Well, my excitement at getting two new racks at the gym was tempered when I got there tonight and saw that they had replaced not only the one squat rack, but also the only two flat bench stations. I can only see this creating more congestion, not less. :-(

Also, for me, rack position 6 is too high and position 7 is too low. Something I'll have to get used to, I suppose.

-RJP

Use 6, squat it out. It doesn't have to be perfect. Usually, it's the safeties that have too coarse a gap in the pins on commercial racks.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Well, my excitement at getting two new racks at the gym was tempered when I got there tonight and saw that they had replaced not only the one squat rack, but also the only two flat bench stations. I can only see this creating more congestion, not less. :-(
    Just get your own

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob R View Post
    Just get your own
    That would certainly be a realistic option if I didn't live in Arizona, where basements are non-existent and garages are virtual ovens for much of the year. Yes, it's a dry heat, it doesn't matter how dry 110 is, I just can't lift in it. Plus, I enjoy the social aspect of going to the gym.

-RJP

Quote Originally Posted by Nermin View Post
    Use 6, squat it out. It doesn't have to be perfect. Usually, it's the safeties that have too coarse a gap in the pins on commercial racks.
    I was actually thinking of using 7, the lower setting, when I get back up to heavy squats. I think getting the bar back to a lower position would be easier than having to worry about being high enough to clear the pins. Amazingly enough, it looks like the safeties are just the right height for when I bench.

-RJP

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    I was actually thinking of using 7, the lower setting, when I get back up to heavy squats. I think getting the bar back to a lower position would be easier than having to worry about being high enough to clear the pins.
    Yeah, do this. Hooks too high is a good way to have an accident when unracking or reracking.

starting strength coach development program
    That's what I meant, use the lower one. I guess 7 is lower than 6.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast