starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check After Implementing Forum Advice

Default Deadlift Form Check After Implementing Forum Advice

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Yesterday I used the advice Rip gives in this thread:

Deadlift starting Position Critique

How does my deadlift look now? I made sure to bring my feet in and toes out at 30 degrees or so with the bar at 1 inch in front of my shins before I grab the bar. In the last reps, it felt like my back was rounding a bit but I don't see that in the video. Is that just how a fatigued back feels after a few reps then?

Turn your toes out more like 15 degrees for the DL. Squeeze your chest up/back flat a little more before you pull so you get all the slack out of the bar, and then squeeze it off the floor slowly. These are pretty good deadlifts, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Turn your toes out more like 15 degrees for the DL. Squeeze your chest up/back flat a little more before you pull so you get all the slack out of the bar, and then squeeze it off the floor slowly. These are pretty good deadlifts, though.
    15 more degrees? So at 45? And the squeezing chest up should not come with a retraction of the scapula correct? Yeah you can hear in the video when the bar hits the plates when I take the slack out of it. I'll make sure to do that before I start the lift.
    Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Polishdude20 View Post
    15 more degrees? So at 45? And the squeezing chest up should not come with a retraction of the scapula correct? Yeah you can hear in the video when the bar hits the plates when I take the slack out of it. I'll make sure to do that before I start the lift.
    Thanks for the advice!
    15 degrees total.

Correct, do not retract your scapulae.

Pulling the slack out so the shaft clicks up against the sleeve is necessary but not sufficient. Pull ALL the slack out of the bar.

How's this one now?

My Edited Video - YouTube

Better. The first rep, especially, you start with the bar behind mid-foot (and so subsequently with shins too vertical and your back too horizontal). It gets better as the set goes on but still doesn't look perfect. Use the "Deadlift Perfect Every Time" set up exactly as written.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Better. The first rep, especially, you start with the bar behind mid-foot (and so subsequently with shins too vertical and your back too horizontal). It gets better as the set goes on but still doesn't look perfect. Use the "Deadlift Perfect Every Time" set up exactly as written.
    Okay so I should get the bar a little bit further away from my shins during set up?

starting strength coach development program
    Yes.