starting strength gym

Thread: Progress

Thumbs down Progress

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Rip, I want your thoughts on my progress.

I am doing the program by the book and drinking as much milk as possible (sometimes 1 gallon, sometimes less. stomach does not like it so much.)

12/11/08 6'4" 198.2 lbs ~17% bodyfat
    12/26/08 209.8 lbs

Squats 115 lbs > 160 lbs
    Bench 80 lbs > 125 lbs
    Dead 170 lbs > 245 lbs
    Press 75 lbs > 85 lbs
    Clean 45 lbs > 95 lbs

The last 3 days of squats I have done 2X5 and then failed on the last set on rep #4 and had to dump. I have still been going up 5 lbs each workout though... I think i might need more rest time between sets. Deadlifts are going up strong, bench is going up strong, cleans are getting better, I am working on technique.

Muscle is going up, but bodyfat is definately going up as well.

If you have been doing the program, you have had time to do about 7 workouts since you started. The last three of them you have failed to get all of your worksets. I would submit that failing to do all of the worksets on what is essentially half of your training is NOT DOING THE PROGRAM. Something is wrong, whether increases or rest time or form. Fix it.

Rip,
    I missed 2 reps of the last workset in squats only. My thinking is that we are supposed to be training to faliure and I was getting all but 2 reps in before failing so the weight was probably right where it should be.. I dropped the weight down this week to the first weight I missed on and did them all in my last workout, so I think I am back on track.

One question, I have gained about 8 lbs of fat and 3 lbs of muscle in the first 3 weeks. (caliper tests) I read that a 1:1 ratio of fat to muscle is what should be expected, and at 26 I could expect about 1-1.5 lbs of lean mass per week (which is in line with my lean gains). Because I am putting on so much fat do you think I am taking in too many calories? I am eating about 3000 and drinkin 2/3 of a gallon on top of that per day. My pants don't fit anymore and not in a good way.

There is no way you are doing the program. None at all. You can't get that fat on 3000 cal. Reread everything.

Rip, I have been taking in 3000 calories food + 1 gallon of milk (~5000 calories total)

I have been keeping a log if you wouldnt mind taking a look... I go in 3x a week, do 1000m row and then situps / pushups / air squats to get warm. Then it is on to the worksets as indicated below. No other cardio or working out.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...NoHsNASXRsI5Vw

How old are you?

starting strength coach development program
    Well, something is wrong with your training if you got hog fat on this diet while doing the program. I've never seen that happen before, and methinks there is a problem with your workout.