starting strength gym

Thread: 3 Questions

Default 2 Questions

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My stats/PR's are in my signature. I own SS:BBT and about to purchase PP.

1. This is probably a retarded question, but I wanted to clarify. I have been doing EliteMadCow's 5x5 for a little while. As my weights have been getting heavier, I notice I'm starting to notice little aches and pains here and there. Maybe a little pain in the lower back or in the shoulder. Nothing debilitating or anything like that.

FOCUS:

When does pain become an issue and needed to be addressed? For example today I was doing squats 5x5 @ 175lbs. I was really focusing on chest up, lower back tight and drive straight up. After my sets I noticed a slight pain in the left spinal erector near the butt. I also had a bit of spinal erector "pump." I ignored it and kept lifting. I was also doing a 1x5 of bench press as well to 1x5x165 and I noticed a small twinge in my left shoulder. It's all small stuff but I don't know if I even need to be concerned, and it sure has hell not stopped me from training.

2. For a trainee of my size (You would probably think I am small.) and strength what kind of caloric intake would you suggest? I was thinking just go straight to a feeding frenzy and be damned with counting but I wanted to check here first.

I have been following a Ketogenic Diet (High Fat/High Protein) at about 2000-2100 a day and I have a gut feeling it isn't going to cut it when I lift serious weight.

Feeding frenzy is indicated. Start now. You should be chewing on something within the next 5 seconds. And then start doing the program.

You need to get off Madcows 5 x 5. That is an advanced program. Advanced trainees are generally strong. You are not strong. You are a novice. Do a novice program. Start eating. These things will help.

Thanks Coach, and what about the injury question?

All that little injury shit goes away when you start gaining weight and therefore start recovering and healing better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    All that little injury shit goes away when you start gaining weight and therefore start recovering and healing better.
    Damn I wasn't planning on making any smartass comments today but I have to pipe up and say this is incredibly true. I've found if I'm not eating a lot and lifting a lot I start getting random annoying aches.

For example, I thought I had a gym lined up for when my stupid uni gym closed for two weeks over the winter break, but the gym turned out to be crappy so I had to improvise. I couldn't squat, deadlift, or clean for two weeks (maybe three including finals week). I figured there wasn't a point in eating heavy during those weeks, so I cut back on my calorie intake. My lower back started cracking all the time and feeling weird, my upper back started aching on the left side, my right elbow started to get achy, and I've been feeling really sluggish.

My gym opens again today and I'm gonna go rip some weights off the floor. I expect to feel much, much better tomorrow.

starting strength coach development program
    And do power cleans for god's sake.

"Doing the program" = not subbing in rows