starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench not going up( Adding triceps accessories ?)

Default Bench not going up( Adding triceps accessories ?)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ive always had a weak bench press compared to my other lifts even though they arent big either(bad ratio). My squats are also low but thats because i tore a ligament a few years ago. Anyways ive been on rippetoes for 2 months and here are my updates so far.

I just stalled last week on all my lifts.
    Squat: 95 - 135 (stalled once, minor injury) +40lbs
    Bench: 95-120 (stalled twice)+25lbs
    Deadlift: 135-225 (stalled once)+90lbs
    Press: 75 - 95 (stalled once)+20lbs
    Row: 85- 120 ( stalled once)35lbs

As you can see my bench press isnt going up easily and keeps on stalling. I know this isnt because of my diet since all my other lifts are going up and also my form is pretty good ( Elbows tucked, chest sticking up slightly and touch the chest). Would adding a triceps accessory help out? And also which one? I can only do regular dips bw for 4 reps but bench dips (legs on a bench) +45b x 8. I heard skull crushers would be helpful...

Doing the actual program would be more helpful.

Ok, how long do u think, I should wait until incorperating accessories? I just started adding chinups, since Ive read many experiences and most said, theyre body and str increasinced signafigantly but theyre arms more or less changed and that if they could change one thing it would be adding chinups.

a) Do power cleans, not Rows
    b) your bench has gone up almost exactly the same as your press. These lifts will go up at a slower rate than squats and deads because the muscles involved are significantly smaller.

and for the record if your bench is within 20 pounds of your squat you either have a weak squat or a ridiculous bench.

Or you could just do the fucking program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Or you could just do the fucking program.
    What do u mean do the fuckin program? I am doing it...

Also Im doing barbell rows instead of power cleans since I dont have any1 to teach me the clean and I read rows are the best alternatives.

Also, I do have a weak squat, like I said I tore my right knee ligament a few years ago and it got a lot weaker.

Fock.

Rip, I too am doing the program to no avail. However, I am doing the peck deck instead of bench since I don't have a spotter, and I am leg pressing 'cause I can do like 10 plates! and all the ladies stare. I also do not like pressing overhead since I may drop it at any time, and you know, overhead lifts are dangerous.
    Do I need to add more vastus lateralus training to bring up the outer sweep in my quads?

Quote Originally Posted by logged101 View Post
    Also Im doing barbell rows instead of power cleans since I dont have any1 to teach me the clean and I read rows are the best alternatives.
    An exercise being complicated should not dissuade you from learning it. Barbell rows really aren't useful here, and power cleans are quite useful.

Then again, all of this is in the book.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by logged101 View Post
    ... since I dont have any1 to teach me the clean and I read rows are the best alternatives...
    Dude there is this thing called The Book. The Book teaches you the movement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast