starting strength gym

Thread: Coach Rip!

Default Coach Rip!

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just signed up for your feb 8-9 Basic Barbell cert in Redmond. So excited to learn from the best.

I have read SS and am a lvl 1 certified and practicing crossfit trainer, is there anything you would recommend that i read/do prior to the cert?

I have a lower back issue that im praying to god will go away beforehand, id hate to go to the cert not having done a deadlift in 8 months.

Read the books, and start deadlifting whatever load you can manage. You have plenty of time to heal up before we get there. If you live close to Redmond, Mike Street can help you. He's just about the best help I've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Read the books, and start deadlifting whatever load you can manage. You have plenty of time to heal up before we get there. If you live close to Redmond, Mike Street can help you. He's just about the best help I've got.
    I'll go ahead and second the endorsement of Michael (and the other trainers at Crossfit Eastside - Carrie and Aaron). They're all so well versed in Rip's methodology that they frequently and unconsciously slip into a Texas drawl when they give cues.

You might think I'm kidding... I assure you that I am not.

You're not kidding. The fucking assholes mock me. They are better trainers than they are Texans.

While i've got you on the topic, i'll ask about the back injury. It first started hurting about 3 months ago. After some attempts at post 1rm. I was stuck at 385 going for 395. Got it about a foot off the ground, couldn't pull it and then lowered it back down. I'm sure i hurt it lowering it down. I laid off for quite some time and the pain went away ( although i wasnt doing much to annoy it).

Then come veterans week a series of hero workouts left it hurting more than before. Symptoms are lower back pain while sitting, or bending over touching my toes. Occasional ache in my left testicle accompanying the back pain. No pain in my legs. Standing produces no pain, i can do hang cleans, and all sorts of light overhead movements without pain.

Anything off the floor and kB swings seem to be the worst thing for it. Although the pain seems to be delayed for a few hours after im done working out. I have seen a chiro, but cannot get in for an MRI until jan.

I know you are not a doctor, but i bet you've seen your fair share of workout related injuries. Any advice?

Move to a country where you can get an MRI when you need one. This sounds potentially serious, disc-like perhaps, or a ligamentous injury. Perhaps Travis could comment.

starting strength coach development program
    Oh my health insurance sucks and ive gone over my limit this year. I can see the chiro for free, he thinks its a ligament issue. I'll get an MRI prior to the cert for sure. today was a good day though, had to do ghd situps and hip/back extensions during a wod and surprisingly felt better after the workout than before. Thank you for your responses Coach, it means alot. On another note, i realized i had the first edition of SS, so i've got the second ed and Practical Programming coming tomorrow!