starting strength gym

Thread: The power clean and snatch

Default The power clean and snatch

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm gonna be moving on to the next phase of SS, and I was wondering how I should start out the power clean or power snatch? My last workout I did 250lbs deadlift, and a 170lbs squat. Should I start with the hang position with just the bar? Increase the weight up each set so I can get a good feel for the weight I should use?

A side note: I've done powercleans before in the past, but I used my arms way too much when doing them.

Which phase of SS have you been doing without the power clean?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Which phase of SS have you been doing without the power clean?
    The standard "I haven't read the book" phase?

I assumed he just deadlifted every workout for the first couple weeks. The PPST2 Phase 1 Novice Program.

Is this correct, young Roman?

First: my stats (in case it's relevant): 5'11, 205lbs, 26 years old.

Second: yes, the past couple weeks I've been doing deadlifts every workout since I started back up again after about a 5 year layoff (which I didn't fall too far behind). I'm at 170lbs for 3 sets of 5 reps on the squats (did go up to 195lbs, but reset back down to 140 because my form was way off) and 250lbs deadlift for 5 reps on both exercises. I honestly feel like I could still keep going though on deadlifts 3 times a week, but I figure I should move on to power cleans anyway.

The book is quite clear about how to start with cleans. Are you asking me if you're somehow different enough to need your own version of the instructions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The book is quite clear about how to start with cleans. Are you asking me if you're somehow different enough to need your own version of the instructions?
    No, perhaps I should RTFM.

I also should ask, should I move on to power cleans, or continue to deadlift 3 times a week? I feel like I can continue deadlifting 3 times a week, but is my deadlift by your standards "well ahead of the squat"?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroman View Post
    No, perhaps I should RTFM.

I also should ask, should I move on to power cleans, or continue to deadlift 3 times a week? I feel like I can continue deadlifting 3 times a week, but is my deadlift by your standards "well ahead of the squat"?
    Deadlift until recovery is an issue, the alternate with cleans