starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming help needed

Default Programming help needed

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Greetings group, I need some advice -

I'm 36, and have been in the weight training arena for close to 20 years. I haven't trained consistently for many years however. I am 5'8" 200 and roughly 8 years ago did a 360 bench, 405 squat and 505 dead lift during my last meet. I am currently deployed overseas and have a good environment for training (unlimited free food, consistent schedule, good gym). I figured I would start on the SS program to build back up for a few months, however, I'm having a hard time recovering from the 3 x week squats. My legs feel like lead and I'm going down in weight. My food intake is good, my sleep is good, what am I doing wrong? Is the SS what I should do be doing?

Thanks all

You're an advanced lifter, SS won't be appropriate for you. You can use it for a few weeks, max, to work back up and regain lost strength, but beyond that you will have to use more advanced programming.

What are your current lifts? How many months hae you been on SS? What did you eat yesterday?

You have a tapeworm.

Basically we need to know the answers to what Leonides asked.
    I think that mike will end up being right, but if there's any more easy fruit for you to pick on a novice progression then you may as well get it.

my lifts now are all down by at least 100lbs from their peak 10 years ago, it's been that long since I trained with any consistency. I've been training here about 4 weeks, started with a more advanced program and it ran me in the dirt. I don't know if it's just the fact that I'm older and have lost a ton of conditioning or that I'm just a pussy now...

Food yesterday:
    Breakfast - Large bowl oatmeal, 6 hard boiled eggs, egg sandwhich
    Snack: Protein bar
    Lunch: Brown rice, 2 chicken breasts, vegies, cheese sandwhich, jello
    Dinner: 2 chicken breasts, potatoes, vegies, slice of pumpkin pie
    Snack: Apple, protein bar, trail mix

I usually get between 6-8 hours sleep a night and have a fairly relaxed day job

Quote Originally Posted by lat311 View Post
    my lifts now are all down by at least 100lbs from their peak 10 years ago, it's been that long since I trained with any consistency. I've been training here about 4 weeks, started with a more advanced program and it ran me in the dirt. I don't know if it's just the fact that I'm older and have lost a ton of conditioning or that I'm just a pussy now...
    Have you read PPST2? Especially p. 75-76 come in mind if you "if it ran you in the dirt".

Good luck with comeback and welcome to forum.

Quote Originally Posted by lat311 View Post

Food yesterday:
    Breakfast - Large bowl oatmeal, 6 hard boiled eggs, egg sandwhich
    Snack: Protein bar
    Lunch: Brown rice, 2 chicken breasts, vegies, cheese sandwhich, jello
    Dinner: 2 chicken breasts, potatoes, vegies, slice of pumpkin pie
    Snack: Apple, protein bar, trail mix

I usually get between 6-8 hours sleep a night and have a fairly relaxed day job
    Is this how you ate when you were competing?

That food intake seems a little lowish, and maybe too low on the fats. I probably don't average that many carbs, but I would say I still eat that quantity and probably calories maintaining at about 170lbs with a truly pussified squat.

I would add another solid meal 3 hours after lunch, with some red meat in there. You can also add a pre/post workout protein shake with some milk. That would probably do the trick. From your numbers, I'm not sure but your squat should be 260 lbs right? That means that you have still room for LP. Also maybe you did start with too much weight. I would deload, be careful with form, begin adding the protein shakes and the 4th solid meal, and being careful with progressing you should get back to your old numbers after some months. Do you have THE BOOKS (SS and PP)? If not BUY THEM NOW.

Thank you, I do have PP, have ordered SS and waiting on the slow boat to Africa (literally) for it to get to me. I'll add in the 4th meal, shouldn't be a probelm, I can get a to-go box from the chow hall.

Thank you

starting strength coach development program
    I'll just throw in here that for older lifters, even ones rebuilding strength, GSLP might be a better idea. Twice a week squatting is easier on the structures, and the program is designed to continue building over time. Also, I'd agree with previous posters. You probably want to reset some more and build back up. Because your body was conditioned for those numbers ten years ago doesn't mean that you should try for them again now. Build back up to it.

hope that helps any.

P.S.- I don't usually jump on the eat more train, but fatty meats are way better than chicken breasts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast