starting strength gym

Thread: kipping press form check

Default kipping press form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coaches, will this make Rip proud?

This is my 10th set of 1 so I'm kinda tired.

(HD)

I'm pretty sure calling it a kipping press and performing it in front of a big mural that says "The Mecca of Bodybuilding" with lots of associated pictures won't make Rip particularly proud.

But the press itself isn't bad. A little more reach with your hips is in order, and timing the press with the bounce slightly better - you press just a split second after you bounce off the hip-rebound, so you don't fully utilize the energy of the hips. You timing is pretty good, but you could catch more hip-help if it were just that little bit better. Try doing a few reps during your empty bar warmup, and maybe the first one or two lighter warm-up sets where you just reach and bounce, without actually pressing, and feel the bar want to move upwards. Feel that movement, and then press right at that moment.

Also think "aim for your nose" as you press the bar. You press just slightly away from you off your shoulders and then have to move the bar backwards again as it goes up.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-30-2013 at 09:50 AM.

HAHA this is how we roll at the mecca. Nothing to motivate your workouts than a bunch of pictures of naked dudes in thongs.

Thanks Mr. Wolf, will update next week.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    Nothing to motivate your workouts than a bunch of pictures of naked dudes in thongs.
    Whatever does it for ya, man.

I'll look for that update.

shaymus Guest

Coaches, will this make Rip proud?

This is my 10th set of 1 so I'm kinda tired.
    Did you intentionally roll up your shorts on the right side to show off your leg? I don't think that would make Rip proud.

This was done on my weekday gym with no pictures of dudes in thongs so I hope my technique didn't become worse:

Now that we've got a full set to go on, I see a few things here:

1. You're still pressing the bar too far away from you, rather than a straight line up. Remember "aim for your nose."
    2. You don't start in the same place every rep - watch closely where the bar sits at the beginning of each rep and you'll see a lot of variability between reps, especially considering you don't take any steps. I checked this against the movement of the videographer, making sure it wasn't due to him moving around and thus changing the perspective, and it still checks out. Become consistent with your start position so every rep starts from the same position and place.
    3. You don't take the time to breathe and set between reps. This is important, and will become more so at heavier weights.

Wow that was fast!

The weight was pretty light so it was still "easy" considering my form. I get and actually feel that the bar is too far from my body but I can't understand what you mean by "You don't start in the same place every rep."

Also, breathing between reps is for sissies.....j/k

Quote Originally Posted by shaymus View Post
    Did you intentionally roll up your shorts on the right side to show off your leg? I don't think that would make Rip proud.
    I think he did. Those posters in the background are messing with his head.

starting strength coach development program
    Wow that was fast!
    That's what she said.

The weight was pretty light so it was still "easy" considering my form. I get and actually feel that the bar is too far from my body but I can't understand what you mean by "You don't start in the same place every rep."
    Yes, it was still easy, and that's also why you could do it without a breath and a hard set between reps. Regarding starting in the same place, look at the near-end of the barbell in the video. Its starting position varies pretty significantly from rep to rep - meaning you're not replicating your starting position, and thus your movement, very closely from rep to rep.