starting strength gym

Thread: Belt on the overhead press

Default Belt on the overhead press

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Do you recommend wearing a belt for overhead pressing? That was not apparent in the book or maybe I missed that part.

Also do you have an opinion about kettlebells and yoga?

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

The belt can be very helpful in the press, especially for those of us with screwed up backs.

I will not attempt to speak for Rip on kettlebells or yoga, but you could probably try the search function and see what comes up in the discussion forums.

I would wear one if you are going heavy.

I haven't messed with kettlebells, but if it is a variation of a dumbbell lift or something like that, I don't see why they would be bad. I wouldn't go out of the way to buy them, but if my gym had them, I might try to mess around with some stuff.

Yoga is good I think. I was never anything like a yoga master, but the stretching feels good.

Are you asking about wearing a belt for yoga??? That must be some wild yoga you got going on.

I like a belt for OHP and squatting, but not for deadlifting. I think the rule is, try it and see.

Kettlebell swings are good for conditioning but they give me too much hamstring soreness. It cuts into my very limited recovery.