starting strength gym

Thread: Are these gains expected?

Default Are these gains expected?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I starting SS about 2.5 months ago. I have always worked in some way, this is the first strength program I have tried following. I have missed some workouts and just pick up where I left off. I havent actively followed any nutrition protocol, I have kept eating the same which is ok as far as cleanliness.

Male , 30 yrs old,
    5' 6"

starting lift numbers: squat: 205 x5, bench press 155 x5, press 95x5, deadlift 195 x 5
    Current lift numbers: squat: 245 x5, bench press 190 x5, press 110x5, deadlift 240 x 5

starting weight and bodyfat: 165 lbs, 16 percent
    Current weight and bodyfat: 173 lbs, 19.3 percent

Is the body fat gain expected?

I've never seen someone isn't a genetic freak and or has no lifting background whatsoever, legitimately start their squat with 205x5. Especially someone weighing only 165. So I'm going to go ahead and guess your squat is high, and/or otherwise needs work. A 155x5 bench is pretty good too, again with no workout experience, starting with a bench press solidly over bodyweight is unusual, though not quite as unusual as the squat. Then there's your lifts: you squat every session, and it has a higher capacity for gains than the upper body lifts, but have only added 40 lbs in the same 2.5 months that you've added 35 to your bench, meanwhile only adding 15 to your press. Something is definitely up, and it's not just your BF.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCarbon View Post

Is the body fat gain expected?
    OP, what is the method used to come up with your body fat levels?

I'm just gonna guess its the bio-impedance-scale-thingy ... which are inaccurate and/or imprecise.

Just FYI. Probably not worth tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    OP, what is the method used to come up with your body fat levels?

I'm just gonna guess its the bio-impedance-scale-thingy ... which are inaccurate and/or imprecise.

Just FYI. Probably not worth tracking.
    I figured that too as a high probability but I redirected to more fundamental issues/questions.

Yes, it was one of those impedance scale thingy. I assumed it wasnt very accurate, I was just using it to see changes.

Sorry for the misunderstanding but I have been lifting weights on n off for many years but not consistently. I just recently decided to try an actual program and try to take it somewhat "serious" and learn technique.
    I know that my press sucks because it is a new movement for me. Benchpress has always been my favorite. I have short limbs so maybe I have advantages leverages for squat. My deadlift is also pretty weak (240 lbs for working sets), deadlift has always been hard for me but I have been working on it.

Also, I have not read the book but am planning on ordering it soon.

Ok, that clarifies things somewhat. I don't think those BIA scales are terribly accurate with their bf% estimate, so i wouldn't put a ton of stock into it. That said, you've gained 8 lbs. What has your waist done? Usually you don't need an actual bf % test to know whether you're gaining weight properly or getting too fluffy. A little additional bodyfat in someone who started out lean is fine; a 7 to 1 ratio of fat to good weight gain is not fine, and is usually pretty obvious if that's what's happening.

DEFINITELY read the book. ASAP.

My waist has stayed pretty much the same, clothes feel maybe little more snug at the waist. But where clothes have gotten way tighter is at my quads! My chest and shoulders look bigger. And most importantly, wife says I look muscular.
    I will get the book asap.
    Would you recommend a "restart" of the program? If so should I take a few days off before doing so?

Obviously I'm not seeing weekly check in measurements or pictures here, so can't vouch for your own testimony being accurate, but unless you're majorly deluding yourself, it sounds like you're doing fine and should continue on course and speed.

starting strength coach development program
    Great! Thanks!