starting strength gym

Thread: Getting Squat Lower by Magic?

Default Getting Squat Lower by Magic?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm new and haven't started the SS program (still reading and practicing at no weight or very low weight), and I'm nervous about trying potentially dangerous lifts without advice. I've got as far as I think I can with reading and YouTube videos and looked for a SS coach. There isn't one in my area.

So, I went to a local lifting gym - Lift Lab North in Westfield, IN and got a free evaluation/sales pitch.

He had me go through a few stretching exercises, a short warm-up on an airdyne-type bike, and had me do some squatting. Suddenly, I felt that my squats were FAR better and lower than they were when I was working on my own. A few hours later, I though't I'd try again, and unweighted squat at home. Whatever new flexibility or skill I had was gone.

My question is - what was the magic? Is there a stretching/warmup program I can use to replicate it - maybe some youtube videos? He called one of the stretches a Fredsel, but most were unnamed and I've forgotten how to do them....

I know the SS program uses lower-weight reps as a warm-up, and I've tried that, but this seems to be more helpful, for me at least...

Unfortunately, after the sales-pitch, I found the gym to be cost-prohibitive to use long-term. I might be able to swing a few sessions to get started, but I can't go on a regular basis. I'm still thinking about whether to do that or not...

Any help is appreciated,
    -->Adam

The squat really is the best stretch for the squat. Even if you have some trouble hitting depth at first, you'll find after a few sessions that it gets easier. It'll really help to film your lifts so you can see if there are form issues keeping you from hitting depth. I find that I sometimes let my stance get too wide, which makes it difficult to hit depth. You don't see that kind of thing unless you get it on video.

Bill Hannon is an SSC in Rennsalaer; it would be worth the drive to do a session or two with him to get your lifts coached in-person. If you want to have an SSC regularly, you can sign up for Starting Strength Online Coaching, which is a great resource for people like you and me who do not have easy access to an in-person SSC. I use SSOC, plus I go up once a year or so to Baltimore to get in front of SSCs in-person.

I once tried to squat everyday a la John Broz and many other Bulgarian Method practicers. I discovered 3 things.
    1. My elbows were very unhappy
    2. My knees were very unhappy
    3. The actual squat motion became very very natural, depth was always easy and my hips felt great and mobile during all times of the day.

As Charles says the best stretch for squat is in my opinion and experience squatting. Please note I am not advocating Bulgarian Method for a novice simply that when you ask your body to do a lot of one thing your body gets good at doing that one thing.

Practice the correct squat often and you will get good at a correct squat.

We have absolutely no idea as to what you actually did at that gym. The results you obtained given lack of information provided would yes be characterized by "magic."

Just squat with the empty bar for sets of five until you are hitting depth. My first few reps of warmups look like 1/4 squats and I hit depth by the 3rd warmups with the bar. Stretching is a waste of time and potentially detrimental to strength.

Following up on this. I'm still a newbie and reading/learning.

Fortunately, I'm now flexible to do a "good enough" depth (horizontal thighs) cold, but cardio still seems to give me a lot more flexibility. I don't understand why.

Even after all my SS squats (warmup and worksets), I'm still only able to go a bit lower than horizontal in an unweighted squat.

But, if I take a cardio-boxing class, I can go much lower - but not until about round 4 or 5. Way lower. Once or twice, I've even been able to "relax" a little and fall into the squat position to get that last inch of depth. I know it has nothing to do with strength, but I'm just curious about what's going on there, and why I can't do it all the time... Also, if I relax into the squat, it's a lot more difficult to get out of than you would anticipate for an unweighted squat. Maybe I'm losing that tension/stretch thing you get at the bottom that Rip mentions in the book...

-->Adam

P.S. Yes, I know I shouldn't be doing cardio-boxing classes on the program. I'm ornery.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post
    Once or twice, I've even been able to "relax" a little and fall into the squat position to get that last inch of depth.
    Let me restate the above. "Once or twice, I've even been able to "lose tightness and overall form" a little and fall into the squat position to get that last inch of depth. You're probably just leaning forward thinking you are going deeper. What you are experiencing is more than likely very inconsistent form. You don't know what good form feels like but you have basic concept of the ideas in your head. Every now and then, by luck or "magic" you get enough of it right and "poof" you're at depth.

You need to post a video or get to an SSC if you want more guidance.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post
    But, if I take a cardio-boxing class, I can go much lower
    These give good explanations

Our warm-up is...a warm-up | Niki Sims
    Warmup | Mark Rippetoe