starting strength gym

Thread: Standing tricep press

Default Standing tricep press

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi I was reading about Mike McDonald the other day who seemed to really like the standing tricep press. I was wondering your take on it, and what makes it different from LTE, and when one should be user over the other in your programming.

I had to look this up to make sure I understood what you were you talking about. Essentially, they look like standing pin presses that are done behind the head with a closer grip.

The benefit is obviously you can move more weight in that ROM compared to an LTE. The drawback is the ROM would seem to be shorter than an LTE, and you lose the benefit of training shoulder extension. At least how I read the way the exercise is described. I personally don't like behind the head pressing for my own training because my shoulders start screaming at me. But I'm held together by duct tape and baling wire, so.

Depending on your goals and level of training advancement, you may choose one over the other, or use both. If any of the other coaches have a strong opinion about this or more experience with this specific lift, they may be more helpful.