starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power clean question

Default power clean question

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey everyone. I am on the SSLP and have been dead lifting but feel that soon I will be moving on to add in the power clean. I have been listening to barbell logic and SS coaches who have made it sound like the Power clean isn't necessary on the program. What they said is if your not an athlete playing a sport than the power clean isn't optimal to use in training. It has its effects but not enough that its worth adding in. They also mention that it is very hard to learn and teach someone who is not in front of them. When I do a search it seem that the power cleans are not something you can substitute. So my question is for someone who is not playing a sport and just looking to get stronger and fit would you still recommend a power clean or something else in its place?

Unless you are elderly, at least give them a try. They are not hard to learn. Many people find them fun.

If you have limited shoulder flexibility or your forearms are too long to rack the bar properly, try power snatches instead.

I believe the take home message from that podcast was if you want to do them, can learn them, and are not physically inhibited from doing them, then do them. Don’t rule them out as useless to training just because you’ve heard that. See for yourself.

Personally, I love them.

Are you afraid to try them? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are you afraid to try them? Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by wicat3 View Post
    I have been listening to barbell logic and SS coaches who have made it sound like the Power clean isn't necessary on the program. What they said is if your not an athlete playing a sport than the power clean isn't optimal to use in training. It has its effects but not enough that its worth adding in. They also mention that it is very hard to learn and teach someone who is not in front of them.
    Sounds like he's afraid because some big name coaches in the org have used their platform as the official media channel and coaching strategy of Starting Strength to convince him that power cleans are scary. Mark, have you considered writing a book that would teach someone how to perform the movements and analyze what correct movement looks like?

That's a decent idea.

Im not afraid to try them. I did some research and most people recommend the barbell row instead. When I searched it though everyone says you can't substitute the power clean because it is a dynamic movement where the row is not. The way it sounded to me on the podcast was that the power clean was rough on the body and not necessary to an average lifter. I don't have any plans in being a pro athlete and my goal is simple, build strength that helps me function better day to day and in my career. I don't mind trying them I was just under the impression after listening to the podcast that it was hard to learn proper movement and to be taught without a coach in person. I live in an area where the nearest coach is about 4 hours away. Online coaching was an option but the price is out of my reach at the moment. I have been perfecting my lifts slowly but surely and as I said it sounded like the Power clean was not something to take on without a coach. It sounds like I might have to start preparing myself to add these in though.

Yes, add them in and give them a try.

I ask you this: you have obviously come to the conclusion that strength is important in life. Why would training power - the ability to express that strength quickly - be any less important?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Yes, add them in and give them a try.

I ask you this: you have obviously come to the conclusion that strength is important in life. Why would training power - the ability to express that strength quickly - be any less important?
    Strength is important to me but I am also a reasonable person and know that I wont be the next big athlete by any means. I like lifting for many reasons and the health benefit is a driving point to me. When someone who does coaching for a living tells you that unless you are doing sport specific training than this barbell movement is worth more trouble than you get out of it. You are more likely going to get hurt than by doing this barbell movement. You would also believe what is being said because he is a SSC and not just someone who is saying look at me and my build I did it this way by doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by wicat3 View Post
    Im not afraid to try them. I did some research and most people recommend the barbell row instead.
    Then do the barbell row.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Then do the barbell row.
    What I mean is a lot of people use the row and state they are doing the program but when you search it with the power clean its very clear that it is laid out in the book that there is no substitute for the power clean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast